Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardboe
    • Jul 2006

Vervatim DVD quality going down.....

Last Sunday I bought a 50 pack of Vervatim DVD+R disks for $12.99. After creating 10 "coasters" trying to make both video and data DVDs I gave up and returned to Best Buy. Since the pack was open/used they refused a refund, I was so pissed that I threw the disks in the trash can on the way out of the parking lot! I tried various speed from 16x to 4x all to no avail to get a decent recording. I notice that Verbatim is now making their disks in India. No offence to the people or the country but I always had great luck with Verbatim's made in Japan or Taiwan!

Richard
    Last edited by richardboe; 25 May 2007, 10:32 AM.
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Did you scan any of those MII discs?
    Can you post a couple of scans?
    Can you post a burn log so other options could be eliminated like firmware, etc?
    What else were you doing on the computer while it was burning?

The more info, the better.
    Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

I have heard of some real bad batches coming from India, once burned people tend to shy away, what's funny is some of the MBI disks can be very good.

You can't really make sure it was the disks tho without checking them in another drive and checking other disks in the same drive

Had the same problem with a new plextor dvd burner(200$) and a mid code it hated, long ago and far away

the older plex drive burned them well

Comment

• darthrya
        • Jan 2006

Thanks for that info. I used to use Verbatim, but I stopped when I was able to find Fuji and TDK for cheaper. I get great results from those two brands.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

Since the pack was open/used they refused a refund
          Did you talk to a manager? I have been able to return open/used items at pretty much anywhere I purchase...Sam's Club, O-Max, Staples, & I usually don't get very much resistance.

Comment

• katana
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jul 2004

I've had several coasters recently for Verbatims (MCC) (from India too I think).

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by katzdvd
              Did you talk to a manager? I have been able to return open/used items at pretty much anywhere I purchase...Sam's Club, O-Max, Staples, & I usually don't get very much resistance.

I've been able to return open DVD spindles also with no problems at BB.

Comment

• richardboe
                • Jul 2006

To give a bit more info, I didn't scan the disks or do any tests on them. I did notice that several had tiny pock marks on the other unused disks in the pak. I have two computers and tried burning disks on both with the same dire results.
                I think the factory in India must have screwed up royally or had less then a clean production line. I think India must be new to DVD disk manufacturing so I will make sure in future not to purchase anything made there.

Comment

• cynthia
                  Super Moderatress
                  • Jan 2004

I sometimes get batches from India - and the scans are the same as those from Taiwan.

Comment

• camellote
                    • Dec 2006

Burner?
                    Firmware?
                    Computer specs?

Comment

Working...