Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alphasigs819
    • Mar 2007

in the market for a new dvd burner

i am in the market to get a new dvd burner and i was wondering what the experts recommended?if i were to get a new burner what brand do you recommend? do you have any input on lightscribe technology. the burner i have now has that. was curious if you like it or does it do more harm than good? also what kind of blank dvd discs do you recommend?
  • Dan
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by alphasigs819
    i am in the market to get a new dvd burner and i was wondering what the experts recommended?if i were to get a new burner what brand do you recommend? do you have any input on lightscribe technology. the burner i have now has that. was curious if you like it or does it do more harm than good? also what kind of blank dvd discs do you recommend?
    New Samsung, Lite-On models seem quite good and LG still puts out a solid burner IMO. I have a Samsung and love it, especially with Verbatim or TY media. Have a read through the media quality thread for more about media.

I would stay away from lightscribe unless you really like it, takes a long time to burn the image and of course you need special disks and so on... Please don't use stick on labels either,lol.

Comment

• alphasigs819
      • Mar 2007

where do u recommend going to buy dvd burners. i know that you can get them cheaper online etc. the burning of the label time doesnt bother me. just didnt want to get it if it has a shorter shelf life than normal burners

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

Guys,

What would you recommend as a good burner for use w/ "mediocre" media? Not for me of course, because I have "seen the light", but I got this question from a family member who insists on buying el-cheapo store brand media & the like.

I know there are burners that are more forgiving w/ the cheap media, but I'm not really sure which ones would be good choices..

any suggestions, other than purchasing good media, of course!
          Last edited by katzdvd; 3 Jul 2007, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• NightTran
            King of Digital Video
            King of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by katzdvd
            Guys,

What would you recommend as a good burner for use w/ "mediocre" media? Not for me of course, because I have "seen the light", but I got this question from a family member who insists on buying el-cheapo store brand media & the like.

I know there are burners that are more forgiving w/ the cheap media, but I'm not really sure which ones would be good choices..

any suggestions, other that purchasing good media, of course!
            only if you can find the benq 1640 or 20 ( not 50/55), because I can burn with so many junky media. Other may know more about new models
            sigpic

Comment

• alphasigs819
              • Mar 2007

of the two links you sent me chewy which do you prefer. i take it that is what you recommend or use

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

my burners(down to 4) are all 1 1/2 to 2 years old

long gone

I would go for dan's samsung

they are reported to be pretty durable, but with new models every 6 months
                you never know

Comment

• alphasigs819
                  • Mar 2007

ok i went with that. do you think that burner will work better with the sony drive that we took out better than the one i have now?

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

it might, you just have to test

Comment

• Dan
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Dec 2005

Both the Lite-On and Samsung have had some lead-in problems with DVD-R media, but with the newest firmware I haven't had a problem.

I normally use TYG02 DVD-R, Verbatim DVD+R (loves these), and still have a few YUDEN002 DVD+R kicking around.

I have tried several 2nd-3rd Class media and it burns them fine, for what they are. No higher then 8x though in my tests.

It isn't the fastest reader but a very good reader IMO, bailed out the NEC when trying to redo old, cheap burns more then a few times.

Comment

Working...