• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Sony DRU830a won't booktype

I just bought a Sony DRU830a as a replacement for a DRU630a. I had numerous problems with the first one and just got a replacement which has the most current firmware.

I've noticed that I could not booktype +Rs to DVD-ROM. The option was ghosted out in the program I use. I found some info elsewhere that I could manually set the booktype in Nero Speed under extras. But all the booktype options there are ghosted. So since I know Nero 7 Ultra supported booktyping with my old burner... is the drive the problem? Someone here in another thread told me that it DID support booktyping. So what's my next step? Is there a fix? (I've heard there might be a Nero registry hack... but it was for older drives) Or is this Sony burner a dog?

Thanks!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I then opened IMGBURN and proceeded to booktpye options. I pressed advanced and selected Samsung and entered DRU 830a in the space. When i opened the Samsung tab and selected to book-type +R media it did not say the usual " NOT SUPPORTED". It stated unknown !!. So i proceeded to change the booktype and it said successful.
    stolen from cdfreaks

Comment

• ulTRAX
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
      stolen from cdfreaks
      Thanks Chewey. In the interval I'd stumbled on some ImgBurn threads and already did what you advised. But it doesn't change the burner itself since it the booktype option in Shink is still ghosted. So I take it Shrink only reflects Nero's settings.... and for me to get a disk booktyped I'd have to burn with ImgBurn? Learning how to do that from video files is my next project.

So what's with this damn burner that it can't be booktyped in Nero? Maybe I'll look for an updated version of DVD Speed.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

dig a little deeper, your burner probably remembers the setting and it will
        cross over to other programs

mine do

Comment

• ulTRAX
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Jan 2005

dig a little deeper, your burner probably remembers the setting and it will
          cross over to other programs

mine do
          This is going to hell in a handbasket. After I changed the booktype in ImgBurn I disabled Nero in Shrink... and now even with Nero re-enabled, all of the burn options are now ghosted... right down to being able to change the disk name.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

Make sure enable burning with Nero is checked in / Edit / Preferences / File I/O.
            Last edited by soup; 11 Jul 2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• ulTRAX
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by soup
              Make sure enable burning with Nero is checked in / Edit / Preferences / File I/O.
              Thanks but as I wrote in hte last post Nero was re-enabled. That's why I'm so concerned that I messed up something. Even reinstalling Shrink didn't help. So since none of the Nero booktype settings were active... I have to reexamine whether ImgBurn is affecting Shrink. I'm so disgusted I'm about ready to reinstall my dying Sony DRU630a.

Comment

• ulTRAX
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Jan 2005

OK.... here's a general question that's staying away from Shrink as a ripper...

Trying to activate the DVD-ROM booktyping option in Shrink I did two things... I set the booktype in ImgBurn and it seemed to take (Nero Speed's options would not work). When the booktype options was still ghosted in Shrink... I disabled Nero.

But all the burning options are ghosted in Shrink.

So I reactivated Nero and when that didn't work I uninstalled ImgBurn.

Yet all the burning options in Shrink are still ghosted.

Any ideas?

Are there some new issues with these burners that include DVD-RAM that older programs can't deal with?

Comment

• md95
                  • Jul 2007

I just picked up the Sony DRU-830A, to replace a Plextor that supported Bitsetting, using Nero 6.. Once i installed the drive, Nero 6 wasnt showing the booktype setting anymore..Then I uninstalled Nero 6, then installed the bundled Nero 7, THEN the booktype setting showed up under the "choose recorder" window, at the "settings" tab. I burned a DL disc at DVD-ROM and seemed to work fine. From what i've researched, you can only get this drive to booktype with the bundled Nero 7 software..I'm not 100% about that, but it's what i had to do to make it work..So this drive does support bitsetting, maybe others can figure out how to support it with other software, or other versions of Nero. Maybe try uninstalling your current software, then reinstalling it? Maybe during the installation process, it "reads" the drives capabilities? Not sure, just a thought...

Matt

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

since the drive is a samsung, imgburn uses that command

Comment

• ulTRAX
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by md95
                      From what i've researched, you can only get this drive to booktype with the bundled Nero 7 software..I'm not 100% about that, but it's what i had to do to make it work..
                      I've been loathe to install that Nero software since Sony started putting rootkits on PCs. So that software can do what Nero 7 ultra can't? The booktyping options in Nero Speed are currently ghosted. So where in the bundled software do you set the booktype?

So this drive does support bitsetting, maybe others can figure out how to support it with other software, or other versions of Nero. Maybe try uninstalling your current software, then reinstalling it? Maybe during the installation process, it "reads" the drives capabilities? Not sure, just a thought...
                      This drive has other quirks... for instance I can't do a Nero Speed disk quality test unless I disable DMA mode and set it at PIO. This happened on my first 830a which I returned... and it's also happening with the newer replacement.

Any ideas anyone? Or should I just get another make?
                      Last edited by ulTRAX; 13 Jul 2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• ulTRAX
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Jan 2005

since the drive is a samsung, imgburn uses that command
                        I uninstalled ImgBurn and it made no difference in brining back my burn options in Shrink. ImgBurn must have had some affect on the drive. So maybe I should reinstall ImgBurn and reset the booktyping to +R.

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

Did you say that you tried reinstalling Dvd Shronk?

Comment

• NightTran
                            King of Digital Video
                            King of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

I believe if you burn with imgburn then booktype with shronk wontbe matter, follow Chewy first post in this then use imgburn to burn then your disk should be book type
                            sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

Let's isolate the problem and do everything manually, these "leaps of logic"
                              have my intro physics prof turning over in her grave.

night, good post

Comment

Working...