Yep - having problems playing back also...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • innit
    • Oct 2007

Yep - having problems playing back also...

heya

I'm really new to all this so I really hope someone can help me - please!

Well I got a new DVD re-writer (LiteOn 20X DH-20A3H) which shipped with trial version of Nero 7.

So twice I tried to burn a dvd from a windows media movie and both times it said burn (which took 2 1/2 hours) was successful, but neither disk will playback beyond the menu (which has nothing in it - just the title)

If I open the disk in windows explorer I can see 8 files in there

I have tried to see if there's anything I could have done wrong, but I cant see anything.
    Here is my last session log:

<nero vision="" project="" information=""><end of="" project="" information=""><atapi dvd="" a="" dh20a3h=""><ide><not specified=""><e: atapi="" dvd="" a="" dh20a3h="">
    has anyone any ideas please?</e:></not></ide></atapi></end></nero>
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

welcome to the forum

well using a dvd+rw is not a good idea till you get the bugs out

burning directly to dvd is not either, better to convert and save to hard drive

looks like your dvd burner is on the same cable as one of your hard drives?

try some dvd+r verbatims, it's ok to bitsett them to dvd-rom, you should have done a full erase on that rw first

there are better alternatives than nero, like dvd flick and imgburn

Comment

• innit
      • Oct 2007

Thanks for replying so quickly Chewy! Just to clarify, can I please ask you to expand slightly? Sorry but I have never done this before so I really don't know what you mean. If I want to make a copy of windows media movie onto dvd, I should convert it first? What should I convert it to?

Yes the dvd burner is indeed on the same cable as my hard drive, should I put it on its own cable?

I don't understand this at all: try some dvd+r verbatims, it's ok to bitsett them to dvd-rom - what does that mean - sorry to sound thick lol!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

I don't know where to start, but you have a lot of research to do

first let's start with your blank, that rw

a lot of players have problems with them so let's try to see if nero burning rom will do a full erase on the disk before attempting another burn

you'll have to figure out how that trial version will do that, I don't use trial versions

next do the conversion and save to hard drive, vision gives that option

play the conversion with a software player, make sure it works

then try burning it with nero

when it finishes try playing in your computer drive, then in your standalone, isolate the problem

be methodical not lacksadasical(sp)

this is rocket science, if you are ever going to launch you have to go slow

Comment

• innit
          • Oct 2007

Wow - I never expected it to be such a big learning experience, but here goes! Thanx so much for taking the time to spell it out for me. I will do as you have suggested and post back how it all works out. I have just now bought a full version of Nero software so I can rule out any problems with the trial version (I only used it because it shipped with the dvd burner)

Thanx again Chewy \m/

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

sounds like you have "the right stuff"

attitude and perserverance go a long way, patience isn't my strong suite

hope that home? video turns out ok, it's got an intimidating title

Comment

• innit
              • Oct 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
              sounds like you have "the right stuff"

attitude and perserverance go a long way, patience isn't my strong suite

hope that home? video turns out ok, it's got an intimidating title
              Thanks - yeah it is an intimidating title - not a home movie lol but one I watched last week that I want to watch again on dvd - it's from here:http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documen...nHell_Text.htm

It's an out of body experience where this guy went to hell.....man that's heavy but compulsory viewing lol

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

as long as it's only 23 minutes and not an eternity

Comment

• innit
                  • Oct 2007

Yeah but that was kinda the point - he went there for only 23 mins but everyone there was indeed there for eternity - not a nice thought

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

well we used to have a rule prohibiting religious or political discussions, I didn't necessarily agree with it

but let me warn you that 3 of my favorite movies are
                    from hell
                    constatine and
                    the davinci code

variety is the spice of life

Comment

• innit
                      • Oct 2007

he he - well you should now add this one to your list because with your help I successfully burned my first dvd!! Thanx for that - I did what you said and converted it first (I actually used some software I didn't even know I had - Cucusoft something or other, and when it came time to burn the dvd it was really fast - I mean just a few minutes, not the 2 1/2 hours it took using that trial version of Nero 7)

So thanx buddy!!

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

try dvd flick sometime, it's my favorite "wookie friendly" conversion program

Talk about DVD Flick, a free software to convert your AVI/DivX/XviD files to DVD

watch out for the pal/ntsc setting

nero is my favorite program for handling audio projects, nero vision has it's problems, I love nero showtime, of course you usually have to fix it with ffdshow

Comment

Working...