Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jongig
    • Oct 2007

I really need help.

I have so many videos from so many Sony cameras between hi8 to DV and even VHS (remember that). Anyway I want to capture it all into HQ Mpeg2 and store it on my NAS drive. I purchased a Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Ultimate. It includes a USB-710 hardware device to take the video and encode it to Mpeg 2 and then stream it to the laptop by USB where it gets saved to the hard drive.

It has 3 settings for recording, HQ, better and good.
    It has 2 settings for the file type, DV (AVI) or Mpeg.

The computer connection is USB2.0.

I can save the video with no dropped frames in the lowest setting, "good" which is lousy. It doesn't matter if I save as mpeg or avi.

My first thought is the sustained data rate of the computer because remember I'm only saving, not displaying or editing. However recording as AVI even at the low setting gives me a file of 14 Meg for 20 seconds and with no droped frames.

With HQ and Mpeg2 I end up with a file of 8.4 meg in 20 seconds and 350 dropped frames.
    With better and Mpeg I end up with a file of 5.6 meg in 20 seconds and 58 dropped frames.

My Compaq laptop is 2.0 ghz P4 with 1 GIG and 120 Gig-HD.

Since I couldn't get this thing to work I purchased a new camcorder Sony DCR-SR300 because the site I ordered it from said it had line in recording. It doesn't so I'm sending it back. I then looked and thought I'd order a JVC GZ-MG555 but now I find out it doesn't save files as Mpeg but rather its own propietary files (what's wrong with them).

My Sony DCR-PC100 is the last camcorder that had line in and its successor the PC330 doesn't and now I guess none of the Sonys have it.

Any ideas on how to do this or to fix this?

I really loved having line in on the camcorders, why do they get rid of good features?

Thanks for the time.

John
  • src2206
    • Jan 2007

Hello jongig, welcome to the forum.

You need a capture card and something which can take both analog and digital signal as input. Now as you have a laptop, I think it will be best to consult the Laptop manufacturer to find out how best you can integrate that with your system.

Comment

• jongig
      • Oct 2007

Yes you're right but that possibility seems to elude me. I am considering a new direction that includes the purchase of a new HP desktop that includes the video inputs/outputs. Please let me know if you think this should work?

Intel Pentium D 925 Dual Core operating at 3GHz

Operating system Genuine Windows XP Media Center (Vista Premium Ready)

Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS graphics card

Internal Hard drive 300GB 7200 rpm hard drive

Comment

• src2206
        • Jan 2007

Hello jongig

Ok, so you want to buy a new DT system. Yes that will sure work, and thats a better option no doubt.
        Though you have not given me any budget, but from your intended buying list I can get an idea. You can go for either an AMD system or an INTEL both are good, but AMD will provide you better value for money. First of all, don't even think of buying a a Pentium D processor. Ina nutshell these are non performer. So here is my suggestion:

INTEL SYSTEM:

1. Intel Core2Duo processor ( E6600 should be fine, but you may scale down to E4400 depending on your budget. But insist on C2D processors)

2. The motherboard should a a Socket 775 based, but insist on at least P965/G965 based chipset. Other older chipsets are already on the way to their graves.

3. SATA II HDD either from Sygate or Western Digital (size should be based on your budget. If you can manage go for a 500 GB one otherwise a 250GB should be a good start, but insist on SATA II HDDs, it gives you 3Gbps transfer rate and cost is same or lower than the IDE drive you thought of).

4. Go for Windows XP pro. There are still many driver issues unresolved with VISTA and it will hardly give you any performance boost. On the contrary, VISTA will consume a lot of resources only for the Aero theme. And video related work is rather delicate, so opt for something which is trusted and widely supported, which XP is.

5. Memory should be 1GB DDR2 667MHz , do not opt for any less bus speed. Also ensure that your board supports further up gradation of RAM at least upto 4GB. The motherboard type I suggested will give you that.

6. Nvidia 7 series cards are costlier but do not support DX10. Hence you are buying something which is outdated. This choice should be dependent on your budget and I do not think that HP will give this one inbuilt. So you have liberty to choose it as per your budget ad requirement. If your budget permits go for Nvidia 8600GT 256 MB PCIEx (x16) card. If you just need for video editing related work and no gaming then go for Nvidia 8400GT 256 MB card, this one is real cheap but provides great value for money.

Last and very importantly, do not settle for anything less than 450W power supply.

On a different note, if you do not bother about branding I suggest that you should assemble, that will give you far better value for money and control over your component choice.

Comment

Working...