Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kibescorp
    • Sep 2008

DVD Recorders and Write Speed

I have come to understand that many people are against burning 16x media at really slow speeds, claiming that this is actually a bad idea. However, you must realize that all DVD Recorders, which record directly from cable or from a line-in source, write discs in REAL TIME, which means if you record an hour-long program, the disc burns 60 min. of video over the COURSE of one hour.

Obviously most DVD Recorders have several quality/speed modes that can be set, from XP (1 hour worth of video per DVD) to SEP (10 hours worth of video per DVD). Hypothetically speaking then, if you were to fully fill ONE disc on the XP setting (highest quality) in one sitting, that would mean recording 4.7 GB of data in ONE hour, which would be equivalent to a write speed of about 1x (b/c it takes about 15 min. to burn a full disc at 4x speed and about 30 min. to burn at 2x speed). So then if you were to actually record 10 hours worth of video in one sitting, on the SEP setting (lowest quality), you would have written an entire DVD over the course of 10 straight hours, the equivalent of a write speed of about 0.1x. What that means is that all DVD Recorders record to discs at a minimum speed of 0.1x and a maximum speed of 1x, as it is all done in real time.

In light of that fact, I submit that burning media at speeds far slower than their maximum does NOT negatively impact the data, specifically when the recorder is calibrated for exactly these slow speed. I've never had a problem with any of the discs I've burned on my DVD Recorders, and I doubt manufacturers would sell the products and encourage people to transfer their home movies and other invaluable video to DVD using them if they produced unreliable results. In addition, on each of the current TDK DVD-Rs I'm using, the label indicates 1-16x speed, not just 16x speed, implying that any speed is fine as long as it is SLOWER than the maximum rated speed of the disc. Like I said, you may be able to adjust the write speed when burning on a computer, but when it comes to DVD Recorders, for which you use the same exact media, you can't write any higher than 1x speed, and that's only on the highest quality setting.

Most recordable DVD media today have a maximum rated speed of 16x. You use the same media to burn discs on a DVD drive as you do to record on a DVD Recorder. DVD drives nowadays may be calibrated for higher speeds, but DVD Recorders go no higher than 1x speed. So the conclusion I would draw is that as long as the device writing the disc can operate efficiently at a low speed, then burning/writing a disc at a speed far lower than its rated speed will NOT adversely affect it in any way. The errors that come from burning at too slow a speed is SOLELY the fault of the drive ... the media can handle any speed, slow or fast, as long as it doesn't exceed its rated speed.

Because with DVD Recorders, you really don't have a choice. Unless you're going to tell me that all discs written in a DVD Recorder are badly produced to begin with, making the entire technology obsolete.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

It's only when you start to do error scanning with a capable computer drive that you start to see differences in quality of burns between recorders and computer burners

We see 8X or even faster doing a better job with newer media than 4x. The burner's firmware will not even allow slower speeds.

That being said newer media is often inferior to older blanks produced a few years ago.

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
      ... That being said newer media is often inferior to older blanks produced a few years ago.
      Chewy,

Is that TRUE even for Verbs and TYs!?!?

G!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by gonwk
        Chewy,

Is that TRUE even for Verbs and TYs!?!?

G!
        they are the ones that have gotten worse

Comment

• Arky2
          • May 2006

they are the ones that have gotten worse
          Am I understanding this correctly, that Verbatum & TY's are NOT the better media to be using? My burner won't even accept Memorex at all!

Comment

• Arky2
            • May 2006

Chewy,
            I need some input from you or anyone else that can help me ---- I have to buy a new burner for my computer and I would like some advise on the better brands. My old one is Pioneer. What are your recommendations?
            I appreciate the input!
            Thanks,
            Arky2

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

TY and Verbatim are the best media now, they have gone downhill tho

My burners are 2-3 years old and no longer made(Benq's)

Comment

• Arky2
                • May 2006

TY and Verbatim are the best media now, they have gone downhill tho

My burners are 2-3 years old and no longer made(Benq's)
                Do you know of a website that I can go to that will give me the info I need?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

Soup has tested several newer burners with a lot of media in this thread

Comment

Working...