Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sypher
    • Nov 2009

VHS conversion - best method?

Apologies if this isn't the correct section to post this but...it's sort of hardware and software conversion related...and had been looking for the best place to discuss this matter.

I have a ton of VHS tapes. I've been looking to convert them to a digital format for the longest time, so I no longer have boxes upon boxes of VHS tapes. I want to archive them digitally before the quality on the tapes go bad. Some of them are family home movies that were shot years ago.

I was wondering what the absolute best method of transfer and conversion is, to maintain the highest quality, clearest resolution, and solid audio?

I wasn't sure whether to transfer the tapes to my computer and which program and tools would be the best for that transfer and conversion.... or whether to use a dvd/vhs recording device that transfers tape to dvd???

Because the tapes are a film format I didn't know, in transferring and conversion, how much film grain would appear on the digital transfer? When I play VHS tape through a digital tube tv, the quality, clarity, and color is extremely great and I want to maintain that on transfer and in viewing on an hd lcd or plasma tv?

With any method of transfer, is it better to use an old analog vhs player or a digital vhs player?

Anyways...any help, suggestions, or information on the transferring and conversion of the vhs tapes in the best quality would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by sypher; 17 Nov 2009, 06:53 PM.
  • Experi-Mentor
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2004

welcome to the forum
    i haven't used the latest progs, however, i've been using dvdlab pro for many years (not freeware).
    link vhs to plain stand-alone dvd recorder, record in hq mode (don't use chapter markers), use dvdlab pro (demux & convert audio to ac3 (add-on), remux & then add chapters if needed).
    there could now be freeware that'll do the same, but i've been doing the same home vids & using the same method for years (thus, never a need to change/upgrade).

Comment

Working...