• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

TYS going down now as well

Looks like our famous and probably best media is going the out-sourcing route. Here's a link just in case no one knew about this. If it's a double post please remove as I didn't do a thorough search.

They say here and on some additional sites that quality the same? I doubt it. Reason for going this route is $$$, so how can quality be the same?
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • rosariorose9
    Just trying to learn...
    • Jan 2007

^^^

At first glance I thought, "Great, another craptastic development!" But, it may be that it will be the same media, simply re-branded as JVC, which may result in a lower price. In any event, we won't know for sure until someone buys it and runs a scan or two...

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Thanks for the reply Rosario. I think many don't know about this as I noticed in a other forum after I posted this. I'll be getting a 100 pk. of the JVC Gold Premium DVD+R x16 tomorrow. I really am not into the scanning bit so I won't promise that, but I will post the MID code for them. They do say manufactured by Taiyu Yuden so lets see.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• PolylineCorp
        • Jan 2010

rosariorose9 is right, this is a rebranding thing. There was a merger between JVC and Taiyo Yuden's optical disc division in March 2009 (or thereabouts). The manufacturing facilities have not moved and the production has not been outsourced. (This is the official word from the corporate offices.)

Resellers are announcing the merger at different times depending on when their current stock of Taiyos (with the old labeling) runs out.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

JVC packaging was good and Made In Japan explicitly and vividly displayed.

They coded out per ImgBurn: DISC ID: YUDEN000-T03-00. So great so far. I'll be burning some soon. They look nice and solid though.

Comment

• rosariorose9
            Just trying to learn...
            • Jan 2007

^^^

That's very good news. I use the inkjet printable TY's exclusively, and they're VERY expensive...so, will be very interested to see if the price goes down.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Now the price coming down will not really take effect imo until they stop making then in the same plant in Japan. I don't know who runs these BigBoy Companies, but if their plan was to get more people familiar w/them as JVC and also the cost incurred, then why haven't they moved outta their original processing plant, and still have not made the move to B&M stores. They are still more expensive than most unless you get the Value Line on sale.

I don't like the Glossy Gold finih. Maybe it's me but kinda rough to mark them w/my sharpie. Verbs being on sale at OM every once in a while at $19.99 per 100 I think when I'm done w/these unless I really need some or can't find a decent deal on the Verbs will be getting Verbatim DVD+R which are very good as well.

Comment

• PolylineCorp
                • Jan 2010

Japanese Manufacturing

Wow, where to begin. First of all, there are only a hand full of disc manufacturers worldwide and they do the manufacturing for all the brands. Verbatims, if I remember correctly, are manufactured by Moser Baer in India. (Moser Baer is the second largest optical disc manufacturer in the word...but how many of us have heard that name before?)

Verbatim is an excellent disc and is affordable. It's one of the top three that we recommend regularly to our customers. Having said that, there are benefits to manufacturing in Japan. The primary advantage is that most of the equipment that records to or plays back your disc is designed and/or manufactured in Japan. Having a manufacturing facility in the same country makes compatibility testing easier and more affordable. That's one of the things that establishes Taiyo as a premium disc...they have the widest playback compatibility.

If, under the JVC moniker, Taiyo is able to extend its reach then prices will come down due to economies of scale. However, I wouldn't count on prices reaching the level of discs manufactured in Taiwan.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

That's what I figured poly. Also not all Verbatim are made by MBI but a lot are as well as other brands. Blank Discs have come a long way so even some of the so called crappy media is pretty decent. What Taiyu yuden should have said is that they were branding the TYS as JVC and leave it at that. The whole nonsense about cutting costs etc... will never amount to price matching w/the aboveforementioned. Only way is to sell them to B&M stores. Hope that volume sales can make up for overhead and also make the B&M happy as well.

I presume they still have thousands if not millions of regular TYS in their warehouses and need to chuck those off before completely going JVC. Won't make sense selling both.

Comment

• rosariorose9
                    Just trying to learn...
                    • Jan 2007

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                    I presume they still have thousands if not millions of regular TYS in their warehouses and need to chuck those off before completely going JVC. Won't make sense selling both.
                    First of all, GREAT post, poly. Interesting insight and info.

Dr, I suspect that's true, but just checked supermediastore (where I purchase all of my TY's). They don't seem to have any of the TY inkjet printables in stock, and their JVC's are limited...

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

Originally Posted by rosariorose9
                      First of all, GREAT post, poly. Interesting insight and info.

Dr, I suspect that's true, but just checked supermediastore (where I purchase all of my TY's). They don't seem to have any of the TY inkjet printables in stock, and their JVC's are limited...
                      Yes and that's exactly what I meant. They prolly stopped production of certain types of the TYs like in this case your preferred inkjet printables a while back and maybe didn't start any JVC production of them as well. Remember they didn't really specify which discs were actually going to continue to be available via JVC. Their plan is to make TYS more available to the masses per using JVC'S brand. If not many used the printables to begin with they might even think about not making them. This is hypothetical of course but not out of the question.

They saying one thing and doing another is a whole different story as well.

If you want to see a screenshot of some burns w/the regular JVC DVD+R you can hit AD and see their scan thread. Already word is they didn't come out that great. About 77%.

Hey as a suggestion I wouldn't hold my breath as to what they actually are going to do. Like I mentioned if costs was the reason then believe me everything else will follow. Has to.

Let's just thank Verbatim for keeping pretty steady not only online but at our local B&M stores as well. Especially at a affordable price.

I'm 1/2 way through my 1st 50 pack of JVC DVD+r and I think after finishing all I might just go Verbatim unless there's some hot sale on the JVC. I also am looking to do more in house shopping because of the economy. So in that sense I'll only spend what I have and get what I want. Of course I'm talking liquid cash as opposed to CC.

Thnx for keeping this thread a lil alive. Many don't still know about this. Of course many are also going HDD for storage like myself. I'll be needing some blanks but few and far in between.

Comment

• PolylineCorp
                        • Jan 2010

Availability...

OK, here's what's going down where I work. We keep a large selection of JVC/Taiyos in stock because they're our most popular disc. This MAY be why we haven't seen a shortage, but I can't say for sure. I do know we're fully stocked. Some of our stock has the JVC label and some still has the Taiyo label.

We don't carry commercial/retail grade of media. So all of our JVC/Taiyos come in 100-packs. (We also have 5-disc sample packs...but I don't count those.) I only mention this because there is a difference between retail/commercial grade discs and professional grade discs and JVC had a pre-existing line of retail/commercial discs. Here's a blog I wrote on disc quality: polynewsline.blogspot.com/2007/10/not-all-dvd-rs-cd-rs-are-created-equal.html. It's an older entry...but the elements of quality are still the same.

Comment

Working...