Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psamtik071
    • Aug 2002

DVD drive does not play CDs!!

I've had my Creative 12X DVD-ROM drive for a year now, and still it does not play CDs. Whenever I slip a CD into the drive, the drive's green and orange lights flash and after 30 seconds the CD pops back out. And this is true for all the CDs I have.

I tried everything in order to stop this. I have reinstalled my DVD-ROM driver and IDE disk controller for that drive. I tried using a cleaning disc on it (the drive skips horribly on perfectly clean discs)
    , it gets popped out too! It seems the only things this drive can play are DVDs.

Enabling DMA on my drive did not do anything either (although it DID help the skipping problem).

If anyone has any tips for me that would be greatly helpful.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

The most obvious question is, why didn't you return it immediately, if it never worked properly?

Sounds like the only choice you now have is to purchase a new drive...

Comment

• psamtik071
      • Aug 2002

I forgot to say that when I bought the drive, CDs played perfectly well on it. But over time only some CDs began to work and then none at all. I didn't do anything to the drive since I bought it and now I find it strange for the drive to have changed like this.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I've had my Creative 12X DVD-ROM drive for a year now, and still it does not play CDs."

" I forgot to say that when I bought the drive, CDs played perfectly well on it."

(Just kidding) I guess the only other possibility is, "Maybe it played/plays CDs"

If you're lucky, it's just a little dirty. BUy a Maxell DVD/CD lens cleaning CD for about $10.00 U.S.. If that doesn't do the trick and the drive has dual lasers (one for CDs and one for DVDs), chances are the CD laser is out of alignment. In that case, it'll be less costly to buy a new drive rather than having this one repaired...

Comment

• psamtik071
          • Aug 2002

How could the lasers be out of alignment? I didn't do anything to the drive. Well, if that's the case, I guess that could explain why even a CD/DVD disc drive cleaner doesn't work. Cheap-ass Creative DVD players! I should have gotten a Sony!

Comment

• psamtik071
            • Aug 2002

One more thing... How can you tell if your drive uses two lasers?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"One more thing... How can you tell if your drive uses two lasers?"

Read the specifications in the documentation that came with the drive...

Comment

Working...