Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STFUproductions
    • Jul 2002

EXTREMELY poor dvd playback performance on 730 MHz laptop

I have a laptop that is 730 Mhz, with a 8x dvd drive, and I cannot play a dvd movie with over I would estimate 5 fps. No matter what program I use, or what settings I try, it plays horribly. I have used Powerdvd, Windvd, and Cinemaster. None play even remotely acceptible. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate the feedback.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) If not already done, turn on DMA

2) Do you have (need) DirectX installed?

3) Do you have (need) hardware acceleration turned on?

Comment

• STFUproductions
      • Jul 2002

Well I was using Windows 2000 (I think it is a horrible OS) but I decided to put XP on (not like its much different than 2k) but DVDs play better on it. There still is some jerky motion, but it is tolerable.

But I can't understand why it was extremely slow in windows 2000. I had DirectX 8.1 with windows 2000. When I turned on hardware acceleration, the screen turned green and dvds wouldnt play. And I have absolutely no clue how to turn DMA on (I looked in device manager properties for the dvd drive, and the screen that has the settings such as DMA or buffer amount weren't there).

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Check this thread out. I posted how to enable DMA under Win2K/XP. Hope that helps.

By the way, I don't think Win2K is that bad. You just need to properly configure it and it will work like a charm (eg. Install motherboard driver, Service Pack, etc). I know I'm dead set with Win2K.
        Last edited by Enchanter; 11 Aug 2002, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...