Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miguelbgood
    • Aug 2002

Error message re dvd playback?

I have a Hitachi dvd player that came with my Gateway computer about 3 years ago.
    Suddenly, my dvd player won't play dvd's. It plays cd's and cd roms just fine, but when I put in a dvd it seems to want to start to load and then I get this message:
    "Another application is preventing dvd playback."

I used Ctrl-Alt-Delete to kill all open programs except Explorer, and STILL get the same exact error message with no clue as to which application is preventing it from playback!

Anyone have a clue as to what the problem is?

I was going to reload my Cinemaster 99 software from my Gateway restoration cd, but it is not on there. I called Gateway and they said, "Sure, we can send you one out for $15 PLUS $20 SHIPPING and HANDLING!" I said, "Are you kidding me? How do you figure $20 shipping and handling??!!"

So:
    #1. Is it indeed a problem with my Cinemaster Software, or is it something else? For one thing, I can't even find the software. All I find is a Ravisent folder with a DVD player icon, but there is no Unistall file or Preferences or anything in there!
    #2. Is there anywhere I can download any software that will work with this 99 Hitachi DVD player in place of CineMaster, that doesn't cost over $20 or so? (sorry, I don't have the model number of the DVD player, I'm at work right now.)

Any other ideas as to how to get my dvd up and running again?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!
    p.s. By the way, Gateway just lost my business for my next computer thanks to their boneheaded decision to charge me $35 for a restoration cd that they have copies of and all they have to do is send me one in the mail for about 74 cents! Smart business decision, guys! I would have paid $10-15, but $35? NO WAY!
Working...