Problems with "above spec" PC playback (PIII 450/Win2K/GeForce 2/DVD-114/WinDVD)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

why on this machine (P4 2.26, 523MB, XP Pro, GeForce4 Ti4400) when I perform the DirectX 8.1 DirectDraw and Direct3D tests, the 2D squares move not smoothly and the 3D square, also not smooth, runs much slower than with a WindowsME (same 8.1 DirectX) Celeron w/ ATI Radeon 7200 and half the memory ?
    It played smoothly on my system (Darn it! That spinning cube keeps spinning in my mind ). My configuration is basically as follows:
    P4 1.8GHz (Willamette)
    MSI 645 Ultra (SiS 645 Chipset)
    512MB PC-2700
    ATI Radeon 8500 (Omega/Plutonium Driver v.1.1.18a)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (Driver v.4161)
    Win2K SP3
    (I hope that's all that you require)

No idea exactly how such a monster of a system can be having trouble with this. I'd suggest a few things here:
    1. Use the latest drivers for your components
    2. Try different refresh rates for the monitor (just some wild guesses)
    3. Try WinXP Service Pack 1. Some have reported increased performance. Some reported otherwise. You may have better luck though.

p.s.
    1. Have you benched your system in 3DMarks 2001 and got a score? The score, if lower than the average score obtained by others with the same Geforce chip, will indicate that there is something wrong with your configuration.
    2. Why don't you play a game and see whether it gives you nice frame rates or not? People don't buy Geforce chips for viewing the little square on the DirectX page!

Comment

• TorpidLittle
      • Mar 2005

Find a solution for my problem:

I had the same problem with DirectX spinning cube that was not smooth and also jerky video playback.

Follow this link and search for "Jerky" along the page:

Here is the fix:

Stop Jerkey Graphics

I have for a long time had problems with "jerky" graphics in some 3d games and 3dmark, and have had relativly high cpu loads in idle condition.
      The cpu load would pulse from 1-2% up to 10-12%-load with about three-five seconds intervals...(in idle)
      The jerking has not been due to low perfomance hardware or old drivers and I have had the problems on two seperate systems.
      If you are connected to a LAN and have similar problems, this might be the solution:

1.RightClick "MyComputer"
      2.Select "Manage"
      3.Click on "Device Manager"
      4.DoubleClick on your NIC under "Network Adapters"
      5.In the new window, select the "Advanced" tab
      6.Select "Connection Type" and manuelly set the value of your NIC. (Not "Auto Sense" which is default.)
      7.You should reboot...
      On my systems the "jerking" in 3D games was completly gone, and so was the high idle cpu load.

Help this will help!

Comment

Working...