Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paintbug
    • Sep 2002

DVD player will not read disk

I have a Pravilion 8760C computer with A Samsung 8X DVD dive. It will read audio and program dick but will not read a DVD disk. I've checked my device manager and it show that it should be working but the driver that shown is a Samsung SD-612 driver. From what I've found that for a 12X drive. This is the first time I've tried to run a DVD disk on this computer and the only thing that I've intstalled that maybe causing me a problem is that I have installed Windows ME. I have Windvd for my player. I have downloaded the latest verionof Windvd and that didn't work. I have also tried other players.Hope someone can help.
  • kr0-n0s
    • Sep 2002

What type of samsung? Is it a combo drive? Are there any error messages that appear.

It may be the laser which reads the DVD disk is at fault. In fact I'm inclined to say it is since the drive is able to read CD's.

I once had a problem with my Asus E616 DVD Drive. The drive couldn't read anything, not a CD or a DVD. Against advice from a few friends I decided to slave my DVD Drive with my h/d on the primary channel. Orginally it was slaved on the secondary channel with my CD burner. It worked fine once I moved my DVD drive around. I'm not suggesting you try this ... merely stating how I fixed my problem ...

A lil bit more info from you would be great

l8r
    - kr0

Comment

• Paintbug
      • Sep 2002

DVD player will not read DVD's

Thanks for replying to my post. To answer your quetions. It is A Samsung SD- 612. It is set up as it came from the factory. I'm not sure what a combo drive is. The best I can see it is a DVD cdrom drive. I also have a CD-RW drive in it tooo. I don't get any error messages at all. I check the computer bios and the drive shows up in the set up. I think come to conclued that it's a crappy drive from Samsung. I found another forum with nothing but people complaining about it. Here is the link to that froum if you are interested.

Comment

• kr0-n0s
        • Sep 2002

Wow ... my most heart felt sympathies. I didn't fully realise the extent of the problem. After reading all those complaints one can only conclude that Samsung can take it in the "rear" since they're apparently screwing there customers right up the rear!

If I'm not mistaken the speed of your DVD drive is between 4x - 12x, hence the 12x driver. Originally I thought maybe the DVD laser was out of alignment and would have advised you to take it back (hopefully under warranty). Well that was until I read all those post from the other forum.

I'm at a lost now! If I find a solution to your problem then I'll post it here. Until then ... best of luck.

P.S: A combo drive is a combination of drives all round into one; such as a DVD & CD burner drive.

Comment

• Paintbug
          • Sep 2002

DVD player will not read DVD's

Thanks krO-nOs for the heart felt sympathies. If someone comes up with a fix and posted it on that forum I think they would be concidered a hero if not a Saint. Thanks to for enlightening me on what a combo drive is.

Comment

Working...