Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesmcness
    • Oct 2002

Vertical lines accross DVD playback

Hi, I have a problem playing back DVD's on my computer.

Whenever I try to play a dvd on my Laptop (in any Software player I try including: -powerDVD/WinDVD/Windows MediaPlayer etc...), I get 1 pixel wide vertical lines (alternating between dark and light) all accross the DVD image (going from top to bottom).

Previously I have been able to watch DVDs without a problem on this machine. Loading and unloading various software may have coased this problem. I thought re-installing my OS (win XP pro) would fix the issue...but it didn't.

If I resize the player window the stripes get further spread apart or closer together depending on the direction. There are certain sizes I am able to stretch the image to where the lines disappear all together, however when set on fullscreen they are present. I have tried to play with the settings in the various software players (like maintaining the aspect ratio or enableing force weave etc) but nothing fixes the issue.

An interesting point is that I downloaded a codec that will enable me to play 'VOB' files directly in Windows media player. When I do this, the images are fine and the video plays back without any verticale lines at all -even in full screen

Another thing I noticed was that when I uninstalled the nvidia driver for the display adapter. Sometimes I was still able to play DVD's and although the playback was extremely slow...the lines did not appear.

I have tried various nVidia detonator drivers (including the latest) but the issue is the same on all of them.

This problem is driving me crazy, Have you heard of it? How can I fix it?

MY Specs:

Dell Inspiron 8200
    P4 1.6Ghz 256 MB RAM
    with a 15.1 inch Ultrasharp UXGA LCD screen
    Nvidia G4 440 mx go Display adapter
    running Windows XP professional

Yours in desperation
    James
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try lowering your DESKTOP resolution to 800x600 or 640x480.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• jamesmcness
      • Oct 2002

Checked other screenres/bit depth cominations...no joy.

Another thing that I fogot to mention was that I have tried other DVD's as well just to make sure it wasn't the disk.
      JMC

Comment

• Reelmaster
        • Mar 2002

symptoms

Sounds like a symptom of Macrovision anti copy process
        Don't ask me how it got there, i know jack sh** about PC DVD stuff.

Comment

• java180
          • Mar 2004

Vertical lines

I am having the exact same problem of vertical bars across the dvd playback screen. I have tried different players and every kind of codec. Doesn’t seem to help. I don’t think its Macrovision because I have tried legitimate software.

There must be something I’m doing wrong. Any ideas would be great.

please help

Thanks
          Java180

Comment

• decryptit
            • Jan 2004

What player have you been using.
            Total Number Of Views
            Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

The following MAY be pertinent to your situation:

There have been several postings over the past few months regarding this specific matter. The solution is to download and install the older NVidia driver(s)...

"The 41.09 and future drivers have more stringent checks in the driver to comply with the latest Macrovision requirements. If the TV encoder does not support Macrovision, you will get the "Macrovision Distribution Failed" error message or a similar message depending on which DVD software player you are using. The BT868 and Conexant CX25870 TV encoders do not support Macrovision. If your graphics card is equipped with one of these TV encoders, then it will not support DVD playback with our 41.09 drivers and above."

Comment

Working...