X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobbystill
    • Aug 2002

A oh AAA oh

whats up
    Im have some probs, pretty much the same one everyone else seems to be have tho
    lol

I just bought an AOPEN 16x dvd-rom/48x cd-rom/amh from a flea market for 20 bucks, and
    installed it.
    and tried to play a few dvd's using power dvd, it sssttuters. it plays vcd's an svcd's ok tho.
    an I usually play my divx-rips on zoomplayer an they work okay too.

I been playen around with the options an shit tryen to get powerdvd to play right.

maybe some one can recommend a better program? Im gonna try windvd next.

I read this refered too in another post
    DMA is enabled
    what is DMA? and how to do I enabel it?

heres some info power dvd gave me.
    Hardware Information :
    Processor: Intel Pentium III running at 869 MHz
    3DNow! Technology : Not Detected
    Enhanced 3DNow! Technology : Not Detected
    3DNow! Professional Technology : Not Detected
    IA MMX Technology : In Use
    IA Streaming SIMD Extensions : In Use
    IA SSE 2 : Not Detected
    Video Accelerator : Not Detected
    Multispeakers Audio Device : Not Detected
    SPDIF Output Device : Not Detected

anyhow I got a geforce mx420 64mb pci card
    and its hooked to the vcr at a res of 1024x728, I had powerDVD turn it down to 600x800 but it still sstutters
    I got 260,594kbsram

any info or, links to info, advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

oh Ill almost for got the most important question I wanted to ask

I want to start ripping an encoding dvd to divx & or xvid.
    Power dvd and the stutter im getting w/ playback has nothing to do w/ that right?????????
    Thats basically why i bought the thing, to rip an encode rare movies i cant find on the net.

anyhow thanks again
  • chops
    • Apr 2002

From my experience, when playback is faultering, there is an overall limitation in the video from the disc to the screen.

This can be caused by lots of things including slow graphics card, slow processor etc.
    Most likely though would be the speed of data transfer from the DVD ROM to the motherboard.

Things I would look for are:
    1. ensure that the drive is not on the same IDE cable as your hard disk (or anything else that is being used when you play a DVD).

2. DMA confuses me, logically DMA speeds up data transfer... BUT from experience is is better to switch it OFF.

There is another possible cause for your stutters, this is that the drive:media is not entirely compatible.

What can happen is that a disc seems to play but on occasions stops for a second or two and continues or sometimes simply freezes, often halfway through painting the screen...

If you are using burned DVDs, I suggest you try a commercially made movie and see if this continues..

Hope there is something that helps here...

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Video Accelerator : Not Detected
      I'm sure your Geforce card should have DVD acceleration. My old Geforce2 MX does and there is no reason your Geforce4 MX card does not have DVD acceleration. Try enabling it in the Video tab under the Options.

Power dvd and the stutter im getting w/ playback has nothing to do w/ that right?????????
      No. Ripping & AVI transcoding and DVD Playback have little relationship with each others.

DMA confuses me, logically DMA speeds up data transfer... BUT from experience is is better to switch it OFF.
      Strange. It has always been the opposite for me.

Comment

• bobbystill
        • Aug 2002

I'm sure your Geforce card should have DVD acceleration. My old Geforce2 MX does and there is no reason your Geforce4 MX card does not have DVD acceleration. Try enabling it in the Video tab under the Options.
        the only video tab under options i see is assoiated w/ power dvd.? and it says hard ware acceleration, I have enabeled checked.

I also went into the nview assoiated w/ the geforce4 mx420 pci card an have been looking for a way to enabel DVD acceleration, does any one know where exactly to look or what to change?

another thing that might be my prob is ultra dma 66. Im tryen to figure out if my mother board , which is buget, supports ultra-dma 66, because i still have the factory preset set at 33.
        AKA I forgot about that jumper too.

and i cant find out the exact number of the motherboard, which is what im lsearching for now
        intel 810?????????

hp pavilion 7845

I did manage to turn the primary an secondary ide's to DMA tho.

Comment

Working...