X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Domovoi
    • Nov 2002

DVD Ratio: 16:9 on PC, yet 14:9 on TV?

Hi there,

I'm experiencing this weird error with the DVD of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and I was wondering if any of you experienced this kind of thing before, or perhaps know what to do about it.

The thing is this: When I play the DVD on my pc, it looks fine and dandy. It's in 16:9 ratio, and everything works great.

However, when I play it in my home DVD player, on TV, it's suddenly in 14:9 ratio. The borders are cut off and the movie is suddenly called "e Good, The Bad, and the U". It looks horrible, worse than a pan&scan release.

What's weird about this is that there's nothing wrong with the movie itself: On my PC, it's complete, after all.

Another weird thing is that other DVD's from the same trilogy -are- in 16:9 format, both on my PC and my TV.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Any clue what to do about it?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I'm experiencing this weird error with the DVD of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

Are you referring to a commercial (purchased) DVD or one that you've burned?

(Perhaps your own domovoi is taunting you ;>} )

Comment

• Domovoi
      • Nov 2002

Heh. Someone who knows what a Domovoi is. Either you're familiar with slavic folklore, or you've played Quest for Glory 4. Or both.

Anyway, it's a commercially bought DVD, as are the other two DVD's I mentioned that do work properly.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Since it's a commercial product, the only thing I can suggest is that you set your standalone player to 4:3 letterbox format.

Spakoninochi and dosvedanya...

Comment

Working...