Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jetski
    • Nov 2002

New to this game, Help with codecs required please

I'm a complete novices when it comes to watching movies on my PC so I need help with these codecs thingeys.
    I have Divx player 2.0 Alpha and Windows Media player 6 running on Windows XP Home.
    I have downloaded a couple of movies, the first one appears to be in ogg format (but still an avi I think) the other is in xvid format.
    Windows Media player tells me there was an error downloading the codec when I try to play both movies and Divx just says it's failed to open the files.
    I think I need to download some codecs but I have no idea where to get them from or how to install them? Can anyone help please? Is there anything I need to watch out for?

Your help would be much appreciated
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

The Tsunami or Nimo codec should contain the codecs that you need. Start your search here.

Comment

• Jetski
      • Nov 2002

Thanks Enchanter, I download the Nimo pack and I can now play some of the movies, however, I'm still getting a problem with a couple which I've posted the details here http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=13999

Don't know whether you can help?

Thanks again

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Jetski
        I downloaded VirtualDub tried to open Bourneidentity, so went to 'File - Open Video File' after a couple of seconds a box popped up saying

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown)
        VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

I tried to load in the Others as well but I got a further error message saying;
        Cannot determine file type of "c:\path\The.Others_DVDRip_DIVX-VITE.ogg.avi"

Both files load into GSpot and say I have the codecs installed.

I have loaded other files in and they are fine but it doesn't seem to like the XVID.

Any ideas please?
        It seems that the XviD codec is not properly installed in your system (otherwise Virtualdub would have recognised it). I suggest reinstalling Nimo (or Tsunami), this time making sure that the XviD and the Ogg DirectShow codecs are selected.

For The Others movie, it seems to be an OGM file (as opposed to AVI), and installing the afore-mentioned OGG DS codec should do it.

Comment

Working...