Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surxa
    • Dec 2002

Silly Germans and NEC 5800a

Ok, actually Germans are not silly, they have great cars and sausages over there, not to mention pork and sauerkraut which is our national favoured food during the festive season, all thanks to centuries of slavery under the lovely germans and the adaptation of their eating habits. I hold no grudge.

Anyway. I've got a problem with my NEC 5800a DVD-ROM. As I live in Estonia, half the DVD's on the shelves are region 2 and half of them are region 5. Well, I searched for a way to remove the region protection. This is where the Germans come into play. On the webpage

there was a download for ver 1.92 firmware "crack". I downloaded it but the instructions were in German. Well I basically understood what it said in there and had another guy translate it to me. Yet quite frankly, the thing does not seem to work.

I used a standard Win 98se startup disk with CD-ROM support. Then started Dv5800.exe from the c: drive. It did some stuff and then said it was done. I restarted and ran a DVD-ROM detection utility and it still had region protection on and evrything still worked too. I didn't break anything but nether did I fix anything. So would someone smarter preferrably someone who has the same ROM tell me what I did wrong and what I really should do. Ofcource if you don't have the exact card or are even German you can still try to help me if you would be so kind.
  • joegib
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2001

You've downloaded the "official" version (located on a German site)! You need to download the patched version which is under the heading "Patched region free firmware".

Comment

Working...