Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t-turley
    • Jan 2002

DVD newbie seeks help

I received two new DVDs for Christmas, and neither of them will play on my PC. I just get an error saying the display setup is wrong. I've tried changing # of colors, resolution, and refresh rate to no avail. I've tried various DVD software, with no luck. The two DVDs are Planet of the Apes (which insists on installing Interactual every time it is inserted), and Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within. BTW, the P.o.t.A. DVD acts the same whether Interactual is installed or not. I can access some of the "special features", like the logbooks and stories, but not the video. My only other DVD, Star Trek: Insurrection, plays just fine on my PC without changing anything. I've done the usual driver updates. Here's my present setup:

Compaq Presario 5726
    PIII 500
    384M RAM
    S3 Savage4 GT w/8M VRAM
    Compaq/Pioneer DVD-113R
    DirectX8
    Power DVD software

Can anyone help?

Tony Turley
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"which insists on installing Interactual every time it is inserted"

No, actually it insists on ASKING you IF you want to install "Interactual". Simply click on "Exit" and run your DVD player software.

Comment

• Schlehr
      • Jan 2002

Check the DVD Digest - Fix General Problems column. There is a report that certain DVD's are mastered in a way that is not compatible with having DMA enabled. With some it works and others -not.
      None of my DVD's will play (the drive hangs the system almost completely) with DMA enabled unless I disable Ultra DMA access for the DVD-ROM in the bios.

Comment

Working...