Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wertert
    • Jan 2003

2d cleaner filter in virtual dub

I've been encoded some divx movies in virtualdub at very low bit rates to run on a pocketpc phone.(O2 XDA). I get reasonable results using codec 4.12/dual pass/bit rate=200.

Im trying the 2d cleaner filter to remove some of the compression artifacts and have has some success.

My question is a general one and I should say that I've only just started using virtual dub - very good program BTW.

I currently create a uncompressed avi using flask ( both sound and video). This is loaded into virtual dub. I use a rotate filter and then compress to a divx output file.

When do I use the 2D filter ? If I simply add in the 2Dfilter after the rotate filter then am I not simply just filtering the input from the uncompressed AVI ( which has no compress artifacts ).

I've also tried loading in the resultant divx avi into virtualdub again and running the 2D filter on it's own but I then have to dual pass compress the already divx compressed file again. Am I not then trying to divx compress an already compressed file.

Any ideas ? I think I'm missing something very basic here....

wertert
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I currently create a uncompressed avi using flask ( both sound and video). This is loaded into virtual dub."

Why don't you immediately use DivX compression in Flask?

Comment

• wertert
      • Jan 2003

I do normally. The new beta of flask also supports 2 pass encoding so I can set it all up and goto bed !

I'm starting to use virtual dub so I can rotate+filter.

The question still remains even if I use flask. Lets say I produce a nice divx avi with flask. It has a few compression artifacts and I also want to rotate the movie by 90 degrees. I load it into virtualdub set up the rotate+2d filter. When I save out the result I need to compress again ! ie 2 pass divx. Is this right ? Surely I don't want to compress an already compressed file ......

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I'm afraid that it's a bit of a "Catch-22" situation, since you can't remove the artifacts before they're created, BUT - if you use the identical DivX settings in VirtualDub (when applying BOTH the Rotate and 2d cleaner filters) as those you've used in Flask, the diminution of quality should be minimal...

Comment

Working...