Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • helsberg
    • Feb 2003

powerDVD does not install

I tried to install PowerDVD that came with my Philips 3210 CD/CDRW/DVD combo drive. The installer claims that powerDVD was installed correctly, but it isn't. There is no folder, shortcut, or anything. I can tell that the decoder wasn't installed (or at least not properly), because Windows Media Player 9 does not have the ability to play DVD's (and it should be able to do that if it finds a proper decoder on the hard driver). I already uninstalled PowerDVD, deleted it from the registry and tried to reinstall it, but I always get the same result: no powerDVD.

My system:
    Athlon XP 1800+
    256 MB DDR
    VIA chipset
    Tascam US-224 external sound (USB)
    nvdia graphics, AGP 4.

Has anyone experienced a comparable problem, or does anyone know how to solve this one?

Thanx.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Typically, to complete/finalize the installation of this type of software, you have to perform a (warm boot) restart of your system

2) Unless something has changed with the issuance of Windows Media Player v.9, you have to specifically register with Windows the codecs/filters used by the software DVD player, in order for them to be recognized/utilized by other programs (such as Windows Media Player

Comment

• helsberg
      • Feb 2003

Thanx for your fast reply, though it did not help me out!

I rebooted right after installation, did nothing in between.
      I didn't know about the Media-player thing, but that was just a way to check if my decoder was installed properly. Is there another way to check this?
      I still can't find anything on my harddisk with the name PowerDVD or anything similar. The particularly strange thing is that I see all the PowerDVD-files being copied during install but, as it seems, they aren't being copied, because they are unfindable after install.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Was there not even a shortcut that points to the program?

Normally, a Start -> Program shortcut is created after installation, and PowerDVD is installed, by default, to c:\program files\Cyberlink.

Comment

Working...