Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • synchrony7
    • Jan 2003

DVD labels on a regular printer?

This may be the wrong forum, but it has to do with DVD playback. I've heard that if you print a label for a DVD, it may cause it to wobble when it plays back due to an uneven distribution of ink and therefore it won't play. Does anyone have some info on this? And possibly a program or procedure to follow that would result in an even distribution of ink and labels for playable DVDs? I found this great sitehttp://www.cdcovers.cc with a huge archive of DVD covers, the actual disk image and booklets(seriously like eveything ever made for free, same thing for CDs and videogame cases as well) and I'd like to make official looking DVD rips. Thanks for the help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

There have been multiple postings at these sub-forums, clearly indicating that adhering labels to DVDs is nothing but trouble - whether it's ink distribution, change of balance, change of opacity, additional weight, etc., many times the end result is that a previously playable DVD is no longer playable.

I'd suggest you stick with a "Sharpie" felt-tipped marking pen...

Comment

• docstevev
      • Nov 2003

I would also shy away from adhesive labels, but there is an alternative, if you want to make fancy-looking discs.

I use Sumvision 4x DVD-Rs for my movie burning. In addition to being very reliable in my experience, they also have a directly printable surface at a cost of £1.25 per disc from my local supplier.

Up till recently CD/DVD printers have been costly to buy and to maintain (TDK consumables are a nightmare in terms of both cost and availability). However, the new Epson Stylus Photo 900 has the ability not only to print on normal paper, but also a CD/DVD mounting tray to print directly onto the disc surface. Here in the UK, the printer is currently retailing for £99.00 from the Currys group (including PC World - wash my mouth out with soap!!!), and compatible 5-colour and separate black cartridges are available for a fraction of the branded ones (my local supplier charges me £24 for three sets of compatibles).

Before this posting turns into an advertisement, I must point out that I'm not on anybody's payroll. What I would say is the printed results really speak for themselves, in my humble opinion.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...