Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tskloss
    • Mar 2003

PowerDVD not playing copyrighted dvds

I get a "cannot play when tv out is enabled". There seems to be no way to get to a control that can set the tv out on/off.

I use an Nvidia GEF2-MX400 64Mb card. Is there a way to fix this?
  • tskloss
    • Mar 2003

found fix

Great forum. Found a fix idea in another thread. Since I use XP I rolled back my driver from 41.?? to 2.3.1.2 that came with the system. Now my DVDs play OK.

What's up with that?!

Comment

• abintra
      • Mar 2003

Please be aware of the following new stance Nvidia is taking with the 41.09 drivers and all future releases.

The 41.09 and future drivers have more stringent checks in the driver to comply with the latest Macrovision requirements. If the TV encoder does not support Macrovision, you will get the "Macrovision Distribution Failed" error message or a similar message depending on which DVD software player you are using. The BT868 and Conexant CX25870 TV encoders do not support Macrovision. If your graphics card is equipped with one of these TV encoders, then it will not support DVD playback with our 41.09 drivers and above.
      I believe it is illegal for them to choose to disable dvd playback on a pc even when the tv out function is disabled, not hooked up, and not in use. I suggest you write them and share your profound disappointment that for now on the only way you can watch dvds that you legally own on equipment that you legally own is to never update your drivers beyond the 40.72's.

Their drivers automatically lock all dvd playback, not just tv out, when a non-Macrovision approved tv encoder chip is detected (meaning those that have video cards that contain BT868 and Conexant CX25870 TV encoders).

Please spread the word of this new practice by Nvidia as I believe it is not legal for them to disable all, again not just when trying to use tv out, playback on legally owned equipment, software, and dvds.

Comment

Working...