Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwo
    • Mar 2003

DVD+RW playback on Mac

I burned my first dvd movie on my sony DRU500AX in the dvd+rw format. It played great on my toshiba dvd player. A friend tried to play it on his one year old apple powerbook and it couldn't read the dvd (of course he does have a dvd drive).

Did I do anything wrong or are pc burns foreign to apple products. I would appreciate any advice.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

I think APPLE only supports the DVD-R/RW but not that DVD+R/RW formats. Search google for more authoritave information.

Comment

• principio
      • Aug 2005

And here's an extract from my favourite author - google on a phrase from here to get the whole original page, wherever it is now:

There are three rewritable DVD formats: DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW, and two write once format DVD-R, and DVD+Ravailable in the market.

1.1 DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM came from the computer industry, where high-speed random access is vital. This gives the format certain advantages over the other two recordable standards (DVD-RW and DVD+RW): users can record one programme while simultaneously watching another - on the same disc. This is thanks to the access speed of DVD-RAM, and is a function that RW and +RW cannot duplicate.
      DVD-RAM media could be rewritten more than 100,000 times and were a great way to archive large amounts of data or video, which compares favourable to DVD-RW / +RW 's 1000 times, while the cost of the media is more or less the same level.

1.2 DVD-RW

DVD-RW format gives users the ability to record, erase and then record again up to 1,000 times. DVD-RW discs can be read in many DVD players and DVD-ROM's but not all. This format does not support efficient encoding of video using variable bit rates. This limits the recording speed to only 1x and it can take a good 1 or 2 hours to write a DVD movie.

1.3 DVD+RW

DVD+RW format was introduced by the DVD+RW Alliance which are formed by Dell, HP, Mitsubishi Chemical, Philips, Ricoh, Sony, Thomson Multimedia and Yamaha. The DVD+RW format was designed to deliver the best performance available with the best possible compatibility. However the exact trouble with DVD+RW is its compatibility. The media has low reflectivity, which means that it's not nearly as compatible with legacy DVD-ROM drives and DVD movie players as the high-reflectivity DVD-R media. This makes sharing data or movies with friends via DVD+RW potentially problematic.

1.4 DVD-R

DVD-R discs are write-once medium, and they are very similar to DVD-ROM's. Thanks to these similarities, DVD-R is treated like a regular DVD in most (though not all) standard DVD player and PCs - including Apple Macs.

Credits: The author calls himself Dr X Zhu middle name cut-to-the-point

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

talk about a thread resurrection!
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

who said the dead don't come back to life

Comment

Working...