Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthill
    • May 2002

A strange region problem

Hi there I have what seems to be quite a peculiar region format problem.
    My usuall practice is to rip dvd`s onto my HD using dvddecrypter or smatripper and watch them from it, with powerdvd 4
    But lately I encounter a strange phenomenon that occurs more and more frequently : Certain dvd`s just w`ont be played by powerdvd 4 ! they give instead an anouncement to the general effect of : "This DVD disc is formatted to a different region from your dvd hardware player"
    Now , mind you, I`m using dvdgenie to correct the region problem and it works fine with most movies... It`s only a few movies that would give that strange notice.
    I tried instead of powerdvd 4 to play them for example with windvd 4 or windvd platinum and then those movies do play, and the notice doesnt appear but instead all the menus and some of the content plays with a very strange effect of black thin lines over the screen which seem to me like an intentional sort of blocking or masking on the part of windvd.
    What the FAQ am I dealing here with ?
    Is this a known thing that only I have managed to miss or is it
    a sort of a new protection ?
    Can anyone that recognises my problem advise me of a software player that would allow playing these films or of any auxiliary app to solve this problem?
    Please , your assistance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

See my response to your other (TRIPLICATE) post...

Comment

• anthill
      • May 2002

ThankuSorry #3

I`ve thanked you and added another question in the first post(decrypting and ripping) and I have apologised in the second as well but having posted a third obliges apologising and thanking again.

Comment

• thejake420
        • Apr 2003

I've recently had to deal with a troublesome DVD when trying to back it up. Normally I use DVD Shrink without a problem. This time, however, it wasn't working, and I was getting the region error that you mentioned above.

I tried SmartRipper, and still... no luck.

Grrrrr... Ok, I'll break down and use my least favorite ripper, DVD Decrypter. I hate it, but sometimes it manages to rip things that SR won't (and vice versa)

Well, this time, it did. The first thing I noticed was that there were TWO copy protection schemes in place. One on the video (the standard CSS) and another on the audio. THAT was causing the problem. End result... ripped with DVD Decrypter, and burned it perfectly with Alcohol 120%. I was even lucky enough to have a DVD that was already small enough to fit on a DVDR without any further ado. Granted, that doesn't present any probelm to me, but it was nice to get to skip the shrinking step for a change. LOL

Jake

Comment

Working...