Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magikareno
    • May 2003

problem playing dvds with mat****a dvd-rom

I'm unable to play any DVDs on my M-a-t-s-h-i-t-a (sorry, had to avoid censors) DVD-ROM SR-8588. When I first bought my computer I could play them, but now I can't. I can still play music and data CDs, but sometimes the player makes loud, crunching motor noises when it plays. Windows Media Player just says it can't play the DVD, not much else, and WinDVD just freezes when I try to use it. Perhaps some of the Divx or other software interfered with the driver, or is there something wrong with the hardware itself? Help please!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"sometimes the player makes loud, crunching motor noises when it plays."

1) Perhaps you should consider cleaning out the innards of your computer

2) If that doesn't do the trick, it mught be time to spend $40-$50 for a new DVD ROM...

Comment

• Comberman
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Aug 2002

If Mat****a happens to be the name of the manufacturer of your DVDROM, then you are quite at liberty to refer to it as so; it so happens the name is pronounced "matsheeta" and anyone who might take offence or censure you for using the proper name is a moron.
      As to your problem: I doubt if any DivX software would have a retrograde effect on your DVDROM's ability to play DVDs or CDs.
      It's possible that the driver has been corrupted in which case I either re-install the driver or visit the manufacturer's site and download their latest version.
      I would re-install your DVD Player. If you're using WinXP you might need to update the player to XP standard.
      I'm making an assumption that you can use the drive to do other things (able to read CDROM data files, play CDs etc). If you are experiencing problems here as well, then your DVDROM may be on the way out.
      Genius creates what it must; talent creates what it can.

Comment

• Comberman
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Aug 2002

To Setarip
        Looks like I've been censored too! I actually typed in the manufacturer's name. What gives with the Forum's verification software that it cannot segregate "true" names and singular 4-letter swear words?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To Comberman

Why ask me? I'm merely another poster here.

Direct your question to admin - It's his/her forum...

Comment

• Comberman
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Aug 2002

To Setarip
            Sorry! I assumed....... Anyway, I took a look through the faq pages and read up on the subject. The few lines that there were spoke volumes and being what you might call a "long-toothed IT techy", I should've known better. Guess it's all part of the learning-curve of forum participation.
            Regards

Comment

Working...