Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psamtik071
    • Aug 2002

Playing DVDs from the hard drive

How do you play a ripped DVD from the hard drive?

I know that PowerDVD has a feature that allows me to playback DVDs from my hard drive, but this DELL version does not have this option in the menu. Are there any other methods of playback?

Also, some DVDs I rip won't play back at all...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) "Are there any other methods of playback?"

In the following example, I'm assuming that you have your "VIDEO_TS" folder (containing all of the DVD files) inside another folder named "Movie" on your C: drive:

Desktop>>Start>>Run Type (without quotation marks) "subst J: C:\Movie"

This will "map" your DVD files to an artificial drive "J", which PowerDVD will recognize as a DVD player. When you've finished your session, do the following to eliminate the "J" drive:

Desktop>>Start>>Run Type (without quotation marks) "subst J: /D"

(Make certain to put one blank space between "J:" and "/D" - and it MUST be a CAPITAL "D")

2) "Also, some DVDs I rip won't play back at all..."

One can only surmise from this very limited information, that you've not properly (or, perhaps, completely) ripped the DVD.

Perhaps if you be more specific in describing this problem...

Comment

• psamtik071
      • Aug 2002

re:

Wait a minute...

I thought you didn't have to rip all the files on the DVD to play the movie on the hard drive, just the movie files and the *.ifo and *.bup files.

Besides, are you sure that the subst J: C:\movie will work for PowerDVD? I always thought that that feature was exclusive to WinDVD.

Are there other options in the ripping program that I should select for a successful playback from the hard drive (like DeMacrovision and patching Video_TS)?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I thought you didn't have to rip all the files on the DVD to play the movie on the hard drive, just the movie files and the *.ifo and *.bup files."

The question you asked when you initiated this thread was: "How do you play a ripped DVD from the hard drive?" and NOT, "How do you play a ripped "movie only" from the hard drive?

If in fact, you wish to play such a PARTIALLY ripped set of .VOB files from your hard drive, simply use the "playlist" (or "File open", or whatever PowerDVD refers to this feature as) and load your movie .VOBs in sequence. You should be aware, however, that many times the locations of the various audiostreams may be intentionally shifted - and you may hear the first .VOB in English, the second in Spanish, the third may be the Director's Commentary, etc.

"Besides, are you sure that the subst J: C:\movie will work for PowerDVD? I always thought that that feature was exclusive to WinDVD."

the "subst" command is a "feature" of Windows - it is not software-specific...

Just curious - Have you "bothered" to try the "subst" command with a fully ripped DVD?

Comment

• psamtik071
          • Aug 2002

re:

"Just curious - Have you "bothered" to try the "subst" command
          with a fully ripped DVD?"

Yes, I have. With WinDVD

However, although it detected J:, it did not bother to play it. I'm gonna try again with PowerDVD and see if it works.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm just trying to explore different methods of playback.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Based on what you previously posted, I'll repeat a part of my question:

Did you rip the ENTIRE (every single file) DVD for which you tried to use the "subst" command?

Let me suggest that you use DVD Decrypter in the "IFO mode" to "Select all files" - and, yes, set it to remove Macrovision (just as a precaution)

Comment

• psamtik071
              • Aug 2002

"Did you rip the ENTIRE (every single file) DVD for which you tried to use the "subst" command?"

Yes

Comment

Working...