Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bts0004
    • Jun 2003

Pal -> Ntsc

I've done a bit of searching on Google, but did not really come up with any answers, so hopefully I'll have some luck here. A few years ago, I purchased a DVD that is in PAL. I live in the U.S., so that's kind of a problem now. The player I had that played it has died and been replaced with another. That player cannot do PAL, though. Is there any hope of trying to take my PAL DVD, converting it to any form, and then ultimately getting it back onto a DVD in NTSC? I'm not even that concerned that the quality end up 100% as the original. Mainly, I just want to be able to watch my movie.
  • mikeypb1
    • Jun 2003

I use TMPGEnc

Just open TMPGEnc click the LOAD button and choose the type of settings you want to use for the conversion. I found little or no loss in quality converting from PAL 25fps to NTSC 29.97 fps Hope this helps.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"That player cannot do PAL, though."

Just curious - Are you certain? Many standalone players, manufactured in the last two years or so, have three settings available in the PLAYER'S "Setup" menu (AUTO, NTSC/PAL). If not already done, it might be worth your while to look into this...

Comment

• Emperor
        • Dec 2003

Many standalone players can do it, but most of the TV's made in Argentina just can't do it. My TV, for example, has two options, PAL N (is not the same that European Pal-B) and NTSC. So, even if the player could do it, in the TV , you will see everything in Black and white. So, is very important to me and some other people to find a way to convert PAL-B to NTSC.
        Tanks.

Comment

• bts0004
          • Jun 2003

Yep, positive it can't do PAL. One of the wonderful things about living in the U.S. is how tight of a control companies have over this sort of thing. You won't find any of the major brands of anything video (DVD, TV, etc.) that will support both PAL and NTSC. You can't really go into a major store and pick something like that up. I'm sure I could import one from a web site, but that's not very cost effective for 1 disc.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"You won't find any of the major brands of anything video (DVD, TV, etc.) that will support both PAL and NTSC."

That's incorrect. Inexpensive DVD players, such as GE (actually made in China) and, if I remember correctly, many of the Apex brand DVD players, have NTSC/PAL/Auto settings available from within their hardware setup screens...

(You might want to do some firsthand research at a store such as BestBuy)

Comment

• bts0004
              • Jun 2003

I'm sorry you misunderstood my point. My point was that, in general, players and TVs that will support both PAL and NTSC in the U.S. are more difficult to come by. Yes, it's true you can find some cheap player to handle it if you look hard enough, but that doesn't quite solve the problem. While GE is an acceptable player, I wouldn't rank APEX as an upper-tier solution. I don't want to go out and buy a DVD player for the purpose of playing 1 movie when that player isn't good enough to replace my main player. Kind of a ridiculous sort of scenario to end up owning 3 or 4 of the same end-product and switching them out or finding space for all of them.

Comment

• Erik_N
                • Dec 2003

Why is there a difference between Europe and america? I mean, why dont they have just one frame rate, all 29 or something? Or is it something of america, to make sure you buy a american product to play youre DVD or something? Just a curious Dutchmen

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Or is it something of Europe, to make sure you buy a European product to play your DVD or something? (NV Phillips is a DUTCH company) ;>}

The difference in framerates has existed from well before the creation of DVDs and VCRs. There was yet another format SECAM, used in Eastern Europe...

Comment

Working...