Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joea64
    • Jun 2002

PowerDVD XP has completely conked out!

I've got an extremely perplexing problem with PowerDVD XP, to wit: it will no longer play DVD's or media files - in fact, the program freezes up solid right after starting when I try to load a DVD or play a media file (specifically, MPEG clip). I have to hit ctrl/alt/del to back out of the hung program. On the other hand, PowerVCR II 3.0 (by the same manufacturer, Cyberlink) is working just fine - it's not constructed to play DVD's, but I have no problem recording and playing MPEG clips. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling PowerDVD several times, and have even gone so far as to search the Registry (Windows 98 SE) for leftover entries and clean them out, but to no avail.

System specifications:

Windows 98 SE
    AMD Athlon 1.4 T-Bird, 512 MB PC133 SDRAM
    Radeon 9000, 128 MB
    Liteon LTD-163D 16x DVD-ROM

I recently (last week) uninstalled the Hauppage WinTV Go video capture card that I had had on my system, because I was having problems with the most recent drivers for that card not playing well with PowerVCR II, and installed an AVerTV PCI video capture card in its place. I don't know if that has anything to do with the current problems, I've never heard of AVerTV drivers reacting badly with PowerDVD. I have also been experimenting with the new Cyberlink PowerProducer 2.0 DVD authoring software but uninstalled it from my system last night because I thought it might be playing havoc with PowerDVD, however, when I did a clean install of PowerDVD after I uninstalled PowerProducer, PowerDVD still wouldn't work and still froze solid when asked to do anything. If anyone has had this problem, please advise.
Working...