Problem playing DVD (related to TV-out/Macrovision)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulcoz
    • Jul 2003

Problem playing DVD (related to TV-out/Macrovision)

I'm trying to play a copy protected DVD using PowerDVD XP (on Win98SE) on my computer's monitor, and receive a message telling me I can't play the DVD while my TV-out port is enabled. I suspect this is caused by Macrovision.

I don't have a TV, so it seems the easiest way to fix this problem is to disable the TV-out port on the video card, which is a 32MB Hercules/Guillemot Geforce 1. Unfortunately, there are no settings related to the TV-out port in the Nvidia control panel / display settings, so I can't disable the port that way.

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the TV-out port on an Nvidia card (via the registry?), or else how to fix this problem another way?

Thanks,
    Last edited by paulcoz; 14 Jul 2003, 02:24 PM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"or else how to fix this problem another way?"

There have been several postings over the past frew months regarding this specific matter. The solution is to download and install the older NVidia driver(s)...

"The 41.09 and future drivers have more stringent checks in the driver to comply with the latest Macrovision requirements. If the TV encoder does not support Macrovision, you will get the "Macrovision Distribution Failed" error message or a similar message depending on which DVD software player you are using. The BT868 and Conexant CX25870 TV encoders do not support Macrovision. If your graphics card is equipped with one of these TV encoders, then it will not support DVD playback with our 41.09 drivers and above."

Comment

• paulcoz
      • Jul 2003

Thanks setarip, the problem is fixed.

I did read thoroughly about the subject before posting, and knew some people had swapped drivers or installed various third-party programs, but thought there must be a better solution for someone who doesn't want to use TV-out at all (unaware of the macrovision checks in the driver). It's going to be a nuisance when I do actually want to use the latest detonator drivers (for a new game) and have to switch between versions all the time.

Regards,
      Paulcoz.
      Last edited by paulcoz; 15 Jul 2003, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip, the problem is fixed."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• maulydaft
          • Jul 2003

I too got this "tv out" message and I have a 3d force graphics card. I notice on the cd that it contains an earlier version of PowerDVD. I'm wondering if I should install THAT instead of the PowerDVD xp 4.0 I have now.... bad idea??? To deal with the tv out problem should I look for an earlier driver? Are most hollywood DVDs copy protected? Do half the DVD reader owners out there have this problem?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To maulydaft

"Are most hollywood DVDs copy protected?"

The vast majority of commercial DVDs (with the exception of "adult" DVDs) incorporate Macrovision protection, as well as other types of copy protection.

"I'm wondering if I should install THAT instead of the PowerDVD xp 4.0 I have now.... bad idea???"

Yes, that's a "bad idea" - since the problem seems to lay with driver software and not the player software...

Comment

• maulydaft
              • Jul 2003

Paulcoz -
              have you found a way to totally disable your tv out? Cuz i'm not interested in playing out tv at all either...
              maulyd

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To maulydaft

If you do a search here for related postings, you'll discover that it apparently makes no difference if "TV out" is enabled/disabled/in use.

It appears that the ONLY available option is to resort to an older driver...

Comment

Working...