X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Watto
    • Jan 2002

Power DVD 4.0 - losing Aspect Ratio when playing AVI-Files

Hello there,

does anybody know how to "teach" Power DVD to keep the "Aspect Ratio" when playing AVI/DIVX Files in Full Screen mode ?
    Win DVD does it without problems as well as Power DVD when it comes to DVD's.

But AVI's won't run correctly using Power DVD ...
  • squidgy
    bored during 4th period
    • Jan 2002

I've noticed this too, and I'm using PowerDVD version 2.55. It'll keep the aspect ratio ok for DVD's and VOB files, but not for AVI's and MPEGs played in full screen.

Sorry, no direct solution from me. All versions of Windows Media Player that I've tried will keep the aspect ratio correct. Apart from that, if you're really keen to use PowerDVD, then the only thing I can suggest is create letterboxed MPEGs or DivX's. TMPGEnc can create letterboxed MPEGs, just set it to keep the aspect ratio of the source file in the destination file, and choose dimensions that most closely match the ratio of the full screen. Perhaps this is also possible with some DivX encoder software but I haven't tried any yet.

Really, I think just making do with Windows Media Player for playback is probably simpler, though.
    There's a difference between love and Stockholm Syndrome.
    technobabble and psychobabble

Comment

• Watto
      • Jan 2002

Right, MS MediaPlayer doesn't have any problems there .. as well as WinDVD.

For playing AVI's, I use BSPlayer or PowerDivX now ... i just couldn't believe that the guys from cyberlink are so ... excuse me ... "stupid" to implement such a severe bug.

Comment

• belrik
        • Jan 2002

It isn't losing the aspect ratio when compared to DVDs, its just that DVDs are encoded with the borders anyhow. Its still damn annoying tho. I tried to use AVIsynth to put the borders back on and hence allow wonderful playback through 5.1 setups of stereo sound but this raises issues with those DivX movies that have 44.1 KHz sound (see my other post). For some reason AVIsynth (latest version from videotools) doesn't seem to like the DivX codec, either 3.11a (2 seconds playback then closes) or 4.12 (cannot locate codec).

bye

Belrik

Comment

Working...