Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billb
    • Aug 2003

windvd locking up after approx 30 min.

I am new to dvd playing on pc. Have winDVD software which came as a software package when I purchased pc.

dvd movie will play for approximately 30 minutes just perfectly and then will start freezing up for a second or 2, start playing, and then freeze up again. cycle will continue for about 15 minutes and any time I try to click any of the controls it will eventually lock up and require rebooting of pc.

surely there must be a simple solution for this, yet compaq tech support wants to charge me $60 to give me any help...

billb
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) If it's only one DVD that's problematic

A) Check it for scratches

B) Try cleaning it

2) If it happens with more than one DVD

A) Your system may be overheating

B) Try running a DVD/CD cleaning disk on your drive. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10 US

C) Your drive may be in it's death throes

3) Try another DVD software player...

Comment

• billb
      • Aug 2003

thanks for responding.

a) system doesn't seem to be overheating from what I can tell. everything else is working fine.

b) i'll run the cd cleaner but cd's have been working just fine on the drive as well.

c) not sure about the drive but it seems to do just fine with everything except dvd's.

3) can you make any recommendations as to other dvd software programs??

thanks again,
      bill

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"b) i'll run the cd cleaner but cd's have been working just fine on the drive as well.

c) not sure about the drive but it seems to do just fine with everything except dvd's."

The cleaning disk I suggested is a DVD/CD cleaning disk - not limited to CDs. If your drive has two separate lasers (as some do, one for CDs the opther for DVDs), it could very well play CDs without problem, while having problems with DVDs'

(By the way, what else can you playback on the drive other than DVDs and CDs?)

"can you make any recommendations as to other dvd software programs??"

I personally use WinDVD regularly without problems...

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

PowerDVD is an excellent alternative...

Comment

• billb
            • Aug 2003

i will pick up a "dvd" cleaner today and give it a try. also check into powerdvd as well. thank you both so much for your quick assistance...

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

As an additional note, you might consider ripping the entire DVD to your HD and watching the movie from there. That is, if the DVD drive, or the DVD itself, behaves. Cheers!

Comment

Working...