X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drsnow
    • Aug 2003

DVD-ROM no go DVD Player OK ?

Hi,
    Is there a new form of disc copy protection or something like that, that has just come out.

I ask, because there are some movies I cannot play on my PC (or other PC's)

Basically either the ROM does not recognise the Disc, or if it does, it does not play it.

The discs I cannot play on my PC are Audition (aust release) The Returner, and Ichie The Killer (Hong Kong release) and Dead Or Alive (American release) They all have the same problem regardless of what zone my DVD-ROM drive is set too.

They won't play with anything, media player, PowerDVD, rippers, etc. But they play fine without a problem in my DVD player.

any ideas ?

Paul
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Is there a new form of disc copy protection or something like that, that has just come out.
    Basically either the ROM does not recognise the Disc, or if it does, it does not play it."

Nope - although you may have had your first encounter with "RCE" - a seldom used protection created about two years ago, that refuses to play on "Region-free" DVD players.

However, I'd be hardpressed to believe that a Hong Kong release would incorporate RCE protection.

Do you get an onscreen message (That looks strikingly similar to a Region Protection error)?

Are these commercial DVDs, or otherwise?

Comment

• drsnow
      • Aug 2003

The DVD's are legit (as far as I know) The australian DVD was bought at a local retailer, and is region 2/4 (uk and aus I think)

Dead or Alive is region 1, bought of Amazon (I don't think they will sell illegal discs)

And the HK ones, well I think they are legit, got them from global.yesasia.

I had thought about RCE, but I am suprised I had not come across it before.

Thanks for your reply, I shall do some more searching.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

As I asked before:

Do you get an onscreen message (That looks strikingly similar to a Region Protection error)?

Comment

• drsnow
          • Aug 2003

Sorry, there are no messages, it just fails to recoginse the disc. If it does, then if just fails to play (PowerDVD, or media player). Sometimes it plays, but then my computer goes to 100% CPU usage as the Disc trys to access the next bit, fails and crashes the player.

One of them gave me an "Unable to read sectors" message when I tried to rip it.

But there is no region invalid message.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"But there is no region invalid message."

Then it's definitley not an RCE-related situation.

Are you able to play these DVDs in a standalone DVD player?

Comment

• drsnow
              • Aug 2003

Yeah no probs with my standalone DVD player at all. (I might try a friends just to make sure that they are not just a faulty discs.)

Comment

• drsnow
                • Aug 2003

Oh yeah, I get the same problem regardless of what DVD-rom I use. ROMs, DVD Writer, other computers with DVD-ROMS

Comment

Working...