Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stingray
    • Aug 2003

Gone slow !

Hi, I have a "slow" DVD as well, but the strange thing is this has only just happened after 6 months or so. I suspect software that I might have installed recently or maybe the blaster worm patch ?? When checking CPU usage it is 100% Machine seems generally slow as well. Specs are: Athlon 2000XP (1.67G), 512MB ram, Geforce 2 MX, windoz XP. This has happened before (more than 6 months ago) and I re-installed Windows - that fixed it fine, until now !! ;-( - anyone had a similar problem ?? On checking the HW I have set the channel to "DMA if available", but it says that current mode is still PIO - I'll have to try and change that !?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"On checking the HW I have set the channel to "DMA if available", but it says that current mode is still PIO - I'll have to try and change that !?"

Yes, you will - Open the Control Panel>>System>>Device Manager

Then locate the drive and doubleclick on it. Put a checkmark next to DMA, click on "Yes", reboot...

Comment

• Stingray
      • Aug 2003

Thanks setarip, but there is no box to tick !! ;-(
      The tabs are: General, Properties (only has a box for allow digital CD audio and a volume control slider!), DVD region, Volumes (like disk volumes) and Driver info - there are a mixture of Microsoft, Roxia, Padus (?) and Veritas. I might have to try updating the drivers ?? The DVD drive is a Sony DDU 1612
      - thanx for the ideas!

Comment

• caddis
        • Sep 2003

I had the same problem as well with a similar setup. Athlon 2000XP, 512MB ram, GF2 MX/400, XP Pro. When using 40.72 drivers the DVD playback is jerky and CPU usage is around 100% even with HW acceleration.

I downgraded the drivers to 23.11 and now get perfect DVD playback on fullscreen with and without HW acceleration. The CPU usage with 23.11 is around 20-50% (software) and 5-30% (HW accelerated) on my system.

When changing to older drivers, make sure you completely remove all traces of the newer detonator drivers before installing or you will have problems again.

I recently purchased a GF4 Ti4200 8x card and installed it with the supplied drivers only to get the same jerky playback again. Clearly nvidia has driver issues in regards to DVD playback on their cards.

Comment

• Stingray
          • Aug 2003

Thanks caddis.
          I have fixed the problem - I deleted all drivers for all drives !
          - I was a bit nervous when told that the hard disk drivers were
          gone & I would have to reboot, but XP found them all again OK and guess what ??? No jumpy video and the CPU is only running at about 50% instead of 100%. I can actually do other things while a video is playing !! - not sure about the video drivers .. I am just checking ... the video drivers are all 6.14.10.4403 and the video card's bios is 3.11.01.24 if that is of any use (?)

Comment

Working...