Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewB
    • May 2003

WinDVD 5... It just sucks!

How simple can I put it? It's simply a downgrade from WinDVD 4.5 Platinum.

First of all, it actually has some FEATURES REMOVED from 4.5. The Dolby and SRS audio effects have been segregated. You either have to choose between Dolby effects, or SRS effects. This is stupid, because they're very different effects and both serve a very valuable purpose. Dolby has spatial effects for headphones as well as Karaoke effect and a quality set of equalizer effects, SRS has TruBass and Speaker Size settings, as well as Dialog Clarity.

WinDVD 5 also shows off its video effects, supposedly optimized presets for LCD's, CRT's, TV's, projectors, and so on. All they do is fiddle with the color, contrast, brightness, and gamma settings! The LCD setting was not appropriate for my LCD at all!

The interface is slower, with less features. There is no open file button. You actually have to right-click, scroll down to source, then select file to open a music or video file.

WinDVD 5 has NO new useful features that I can find, plus it actually has valuable features taken out. A big, big thumbs down!
  • trailergod
    • Sep 2003

the latest version has these things u mentioned fixed...

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

windvd5 comes in 2 types, gold and platinum, also full options depends on the serial u use .
      there is a serial for basic usage, then with dolby digital, then a key that adds dts, then SRS. and finaly the key that will add all options including audio booster pack that have all functions like SRS dolby digital II and blaa blaa. also if u use hardware acceleration u wont get video effects enabled. hope this clarify things.....
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Aaroh
        • Aug 2003

WINDVD 5 Platinum really SUX!
        first of all there is no AUDIO in my player.
        video is there but no audio.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Aaroh
          WINDVD 5 Platinum really SUX!
          first of all there is no AUDIO in my player.
          video is there but no audio.

man uv screwed somthing or ur using trial version of windvd that stops audio after few mins.iv using windvd and found it very good specially audio while using audio boost better then that of powerdvd also video is little sharper.

Comment

• Easier Way?
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jan 2003

Do the newest versions smooth out the raw video data like anti aliasing on a graphics card?
            I have old powerdvd2000 and it is inferior to a standalone player feeding rgb signals into a tv set.

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Easier Way?
              Do the newest versions smooth out the raw video data like anti aliasing on a graphics card?.
              did'nt understand, anti aliasing smooth the edges of the 3d pic, cant say bout how it will be helpful here?, did u mean de-interlacing?

Originally posted by Easier Way?
              I have old powerdvd2000 and it is inferior.
              do u mean windvd2000? also the better the quality of the input better it will look on monitor. a below quality video may look bad on computer/monitor but good on Tv.

Comment

Working...