DVD disc not compatible with Windows !!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sebastying
    • Sep 2003

DVD disc not compatible with Windows !!!

Hi, i just bought "24" season one box set (DVD Region 2) and regrettably im not able to read any of those DVD's !!! I get a warning message under windows XP explorer saying that the discs are not formatted, they cannot be read because they might be corrupted or not compatible with windows...

The fact is they all work on another PC DVD player using XP or stand alone player... My drive is a Toshiba DVD ROM player SD-C2502...

Another fact is that my DVD player (region 2) is able to read some other DVD's (region 2), and the DVD region is not an issue (well shouldn't be...).

I did everything to get it work...update DVD drive firmware, use latest software (Power DVD 4 -> WinDVD 5 Platinium...), update MS Win XP... THOSE DVD cannot be recognized by my system...Damn ! (sorry for the swearing...)

So if anyone of you have any brilliant idea and suggestion to make that might resolve this issue i would be very happy to try it and would be very grateful !!! I'm really running out of hope...

Thanks

SEB
  • srlsmith
    • Nov 2004

More info perhaps. I, too, am looking for a solution to fix the same or a very similar problem. What I've found is that my laptop's DVD-ROM (the same model Toshiba SD-C2502) will not play dual layer DVD's but reads single layer DVD's and CD's just fine.

I know when I first got the laptop it could read dual layer DVD's, but it stopped sometime in the first year.

It took a while (2 years) to even figure out this much. I wasn't aware that were dual and single layer DVD's until recently, and many DVD's don't say if they are dual layer.

Ideas anyone?

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Perhaps a firmware update could solve your problem.

To see your current version you could use this program: www.dvdinfopro.com

Comment

• srlsmith
        • Nov 2004

1. What exactly is in those firmware updates. Did someone pull the original firmware off various DVD-players, then tweak them to skip region checks? Do they contain other fixes?

2. The above link says to "Read carefully the installation notes" before proceeding. I can't find the install notes. I've downloaded and unzipped the package for my DVD but no notes?!?

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

1. Firmware is basically a set of updatable instruction that reside on a chip in the burner and they tell the burner what to do with different media
          2. Go to http://www.toshiba.com/tai-new/ and find your original firmware and instructions for your burner.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To sebastying

The results of a Googlesearch for your DVD-ROM, indicates that, although inconclusive, it is not capable of reading double-layer DVDs (DVD 9)...

Comment

Working...