X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lumberjack
    • Jun 2003

Set top dvd players suck!!!

I've sick of it all !!

I have a Kenwood DV-605, Digix "$50 dollor unit from american" panasonic A110 and of these units the digix is the only one that will play the dvd-r's that I do backups with. I have been trying to figure out what matters most quality or quanity. and I am more interested in quantity as all my backups play fine in a dvd-rom. so with that in mind. I have come to the conclusion that all setop players suck!

What I want to know is that if anyone knows of a way to replace the lazer unit in a setop player? I love my kenwood dv-605 as I have a kenwood KRX-1000 THX Certified Receiver and a Kenwood 100 disk cd changer. But I can't get the backups to work flawlessly in anything but the digix player. now why would a 50.00 setop player play these disks "cheap,expensive, namebrand non-namebrand doesn't matter" without a hitch. while the more expensive setop players "kenwood, panasonic" will not play them, either audio corruption and or video corruption. when just watching the movie or skipping chapters or ff through the movie.

I would like to swap the lazer unit out of a liteon dvd-rom or some other dvd-rom pc drive into my kenwood but I do not think that is an option at this point in time. As I have not been able to find anything on this subject. I have taken apart my panasonic and also taken apart a toshiba dvd-rom drive so see if they had similar ribbon cables and hookups. They did but I figured that firmware on the mpeg card in the set top player would not allow this to work properly.

And also I need a new TV. and I've been looking at the Samsung 30" 16x9 hd monitor. but without something that can do progressive scan it isn't worth the money as I can get an akai 30" 16x9 at samsclub that will not to hd but will do 480i for alot less. and then take the money that I have saved from not buying the samsung and building a pc in a matx chasis, "p4/ddr/dvd-rom/windows xp media center edition, getting a remote for it " and using that as a replacement for a high dollar dvd player, with a ati 9500 non pro and dvdi-comonent out I will still get 1080i, that is the dillema.

If anyone knows of a way to put a different lazer unit in a set top dvd player please let me know as this is what I would rather do but if I can't do this I will just have to build a micro pc that will do what I need, cost is an issue but compatability is more of an issue.

Sorry for the ranting. I've just been doing so many backups and I am fed up with finding the time to watch them, and then they either lock up or something like corruption in video or audio occurs. and all ppl say is "switch your media" or something else lame like that. when it isn't a media issue. nor is it a burning application issue. or how I use the burning application to create a backup. it is the issue that the lazer units that are in setop players are like 4x lazers and the amount of memory that is on the mpg decoder board in the setop player is to small. all of wich can be fixed but if the firmware doesn't like the upgraded lazer module then it isn't going to work, and it seems as though manufactuers aren't making a big deal about upgrading their hardware as they know that if they do then they would have to charge more than what they are currently overcharging. there is no way that a setop dvd player costs 300+ dallors and will not play a dvd-r backup that was burn on a no name media at 4x speeds. It's the hardwares fault not the media or applications fault.

So I would have to say if your going to buy a dvd player check out the cheapest pos that you can find, more than likely it will be the best unit you can buy if your doing backups. you will loose progressive scan support but so what ? 1080i max ? a normal dvd is 480i and look great when the dvd player and tv are using component lines. 1080i I've seen terminator 2 at that res on a panasonic hd monitor and well first off. it had to be played from a pc not a setop player. second off it did look good but not good enough to validate the cost of the setup "hd tv/pc/media" so with that in mind, cheap 16x9 tv and cheap dvd-r media is the way to go quantity or quality. as of right now everything is a gimic, trying to get you to buy things that you don't need. like hd monitors that do 1080i where is the setop player that can output that ? where is the media that is encoded in that ? where is everything. it's all a scam, don't fall victom to the marketing machine !!!!!

sorry, damn. I just want to mod my set top dvd player if anyone has any info please let me know.

thanks and sorry for the rambling. but if you have read through it it does make sense. if you think it doesn't make sense then you haven't spent enought money in sound&vision area to understand it. or your to young. I've been in this stuff since the beta age. and back then super beta was god. and macrovision was a mith :>

Moding a setop dvd player is the mission!
    let me know how you would go about accomplishing this feat.

thx.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Just curious - when did your specific models of Kenwood and Panasonic players first come out?

Comment

• Livewire
      • Jun 2003

Sorry, but that is completely funny.
      People keep trying to make thier incompatible formats compatible.
      The recording industry pressures manufacturers of these copiers to omit certain recording methods in order to prevent copying of thier materials. In the end, you see many people running to buy a standalone player so they can watch thier rip on thier TV. Why not just get TV out on your video card and hook up direct using DivX or Xvid?

Plainly said, if you rent DVD's, get a standalolne. If you copy DVD's, use your computer. I tend to agree with your post about incompatibilities with certain recorders/standalones, and as such do not reccomend it unless you have the patience to figure it out. Sony has a DVD recorder that supports DVD-R and DVD+R. Some players support ONLY DVD+R, while others support DVD+R. Some Support VCD or SVCD, while others don't.
      Most of the time these omitions of features is not documented, and the buyer is stuck with a player not well suited for copied materials.

Since when does the manufacturer care? Since when does the consumer notice? Lost in the sea of obsolete technology.
      Government throws more money at a problem, so it looks like they are making a difference.

Comment

• lumberjack
        • Jun 2003

My panasonic I bought back in 98 I think or earlier. The kenwood I just got reccently.

I also was using nero 6 "ultra edition" and I switched back to 5.5.10.28 to see if that makes a difference. in the end I'm sure that I will just build a micro atx pc to sit next to the audio equipement and just use that. as this is really nutz. when I spend money on media I want to sit down and watch a full movie and not have it skip. But in the end it is my fault I'm having these problems as if I would just spend the money on the retail movie then I wouldn't be having these problems. instead I'd have DEBT!!!:d

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Older dvd players may not be capable of recognizing "home made" dvd media.

Also, sometimes the media you use can impact on playability.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"But in the end it is my fault I'm having these problems as if I would just spend the money on the retail movie then I wouldn't be having these problems."

Please explain...

Comment

• lumberjack
              • Jun 2003

I'm just saying that It is my fault for these problems. if I weren't trying to make backups I wouldn't have these problems. as I would just use the retail disk instead of trying to make a backup that is all I'm saying. :>

Comment

Working...