Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blasterman
    • Oct 2003

DVD won't play

I have a Cendyne(Lite-on LTD-163D) DVD/CDROM player with Power DVD 3.0 I installed about 6 months ago. It played okay when installed. No problems of any kind. Installed in Win ME and in XP, both okay. Haven't used for several months. Now sometimes will play, most of the time won't play. Doesn't recognize dvd in player. Plays all types of cd's with no poblems. Have reinstalled player and drivers, no help. Any suggestions.John
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try using a DVD/CD cleaning disc. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• blasterman
      • Oct 2003

Already tried that. Didn't seem to have any effect.A couple of things I forgot to include in my original post-
      1. Sometimes when I put the dvd in it seems like it is going to start, but then I get a BSOD. If I eject the disk , the BSOD goes away and the system returns to normal.
      2. If I start Pwr DVD first,then insert the disk, sometimes it will start normal and play the dvd,othertimes it will play about 5 sec then go to a white screen and freeze.
      3. If the dvd actually starts and plays, near the end of the dvd, last minute or so, it will go to BSOD.
      4. error msg's rcvd:
      If BSOD at start- APIX (03)+00000E80 :0E:0028 :CIC1A4D0
      If BSOD at end- APIX (03)+00000E39 :0E :0028 CIC1A489
      Don't know if these error codes mean anything to anybody, but want to include all info I rcvd.
      I am thinking of pulling it out and trying in another computer running win98se. It may be defective, but worked good when first installed and it works fine for all types of cd's and cd's require stronger laser beam than dvd's, so don't think it's a weak laser. Not ready to give up yet. John

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Other than a defective drive, the only thought that comes to mind (in light of your BSODs) is a possibly corrupt ASPI layer.

You might try downloading and installing "Force ASPI"...

Comment

• blasterman
          • Oct 2003

what is ASPI? Where do I find this Force ASPI? I can't find anything about it in any of my computer books.
          I think first thing in the am I'll try installing the drive in another computer. Also, may go to the MS Site and see if I might be able to run something down on the error codes. The XP O/S is is a fresh installation(last week), ME has been running for about a year with no problems. Would like to try and pinpoint the problem without shotgunning the system. Will keep you informed. Thanks, John

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

what is ASPI? Where do I find this Force ASPI?

Go to:

aspi,aspi drivers,aspi layer,aspi layer drivers,aspi interface,force aspi, forceaspi,aspi windows xp,aspi winxp,aspi wxp,force aspi download,adaptec,adaptec aspi drivers, install aspi drivers,update aspi drivers,aspi guide,aspi tutorial,cd ripping,cd burning,aspi32.sys, wowpost.exe,winaspi.dll,wnaspi.dll,aspi win2k 2000,digital audio extraction,radified,aspi for windows 2000, fireburner,nero,eac,cdrwin

Comment

• blasterman
              • Oct 2003

Found the site okay. Will look into this a little further. Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I can't find anything about it in any of my computer books."

I guess you're library needs to be updated ;>}

Comment

• blasterman
                  • Oct 2003

Moved the dvd to my win98se computer. Didn't work there either. Symptoms about the same. I am beginning to think the drive is kaput. The dvd drive is recognized in the bios, in the start up screens and in device manager, but dvd disks are not recognized in the drives. Cd's are recognized immediately.The pwr dvd diagnostics show several error codes,etc. Am sending log to Cyberlink Support and see if they can tell me anything. Would like to pinpoint the problem if possible before I start changing to different files. It ran fine when first installed, same hardware and software, so should have all necessary files. My grandson installed same player in his computer(same mobo,etc) the same day I did. His is running okay. He uses his a lot more than I do or I may have noted this problem sooner. Will keep you informed.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

I gather this means that you've not downloaded and installed Force ASPI?

"He uses his a lot more than I do or I may have noted this problem sooner."

Maybe yours has developed cobwebs ;>}

Comment

• blasterman
                      • Oct 2003

No, I haven't downloaded and installed Force ASPI. As I said, it worked fine with the original installation and software, so would like to see if there is some reason its not working now. If they can't give me some reason why it's not working, Then I'll forget about the original install and try to do whatever it takes to make it work. I've worked with computers approx 20 years and have found if you keep diggin you usually find the the specific reason for the failure. Due to the fact that Cendyne is in bankruptcy and not doing any warranty repairs, I opened the drive and took a look at it. Everything was nice and clean. No cobwebs, dirt on lense etc. I follow your line of thinking as it seems the drive is not properly interfacing with the computer and after doing more research understand that is the primary purpose of the ASPI. What bothers me is I tried it on 3 different O/S's. I've never ran into this problem before. You apparently have and is the why you suggested the Force ASPI download.I appreciate your efforts and will let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...