X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobo3121
    • Sep 2003

Power-dvd & Windvd Playback

OK

Here is the question. I have used POWERDVD AND WIN-DVD to playback videos.

{{BTW, Setarip (hope I got the name right!) Ur suggestion about downloading the older Nvidia drivers worked. I had the same problem as someone else here did, regarding blank screens with WIN-DVD during playback.}}

Now to the question, when playing either of these programs, they both would start to freeze up about 3/4 way through the DVD, until it would get so bad they would eventually stop, freezing completely. I noticed that this problem doesn't appear to be so bad with movies done under DVD-Xcopy, but I have only tried one, Scorpion king.

In either instance I had uninstalled the other program so I never had both programs installed at the same time.

Also i am using a 64 meg nvidia mx 400 card and i have 1gig of ram.

Maybe I should also mention that these DVDs were duplicated using Alcohol 120, so I am assuming that whatever copy protection was on the original DVD was also copied over. In fact I had a previous post where i mentioned that in a problem associated with TV-Out.

So my question is there any cure? Or, is this something I will have to live with.

Hobo3121
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Maybe I should also mention that these DVDs were duplicated using Alcohol 120, so I am assuming that whatever copy protection was on the original DVD was also copied over."

Do the ORIGINAL DVDs exhibit the same behaviour?

Comment

• hobo3121
      • Sep 2003

POWER-DVD WINDVD PLAYBACK

No i don't think so.

The reason I used Alcohol to duplicate them was because Neither DVDXCopy Express nor DVD XCopy would copy them. They would only copy the first chapter/track of each DVD. However, the originals played well on the stand alone DVD Player.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Me - "Do the ORIGINAL DVDs exhibit the same behaviour?"

You - "No i don't think so."

Either they do or they don't...

1) Based on your other post, I'm speculating that your "originals" are actually copies of commercial DVDs

2) If I'm wrong, and you truly want to get to the root of your problem, make the little extra effort to PLAY the original commercial DVDs on your system, so that you can determine with certainty whether they exhibit the same behaviour

Comment

• hobo3121
          • Sep 2003

Excuse me for sounding kind of stupid about this stuff but I am just starting so some things are not obvious to me.

1. I do not now have the originals.

2. They played fine in my stand alone player, and it did not occur to me that they might be copies. I recall that the disks did not have any type of Logo on them, rather they had writing stamped on an area around the center and on the edge of the disks.
          Anyway when I first tried to copy them using the aformentioned programs and they failed I assumed it was something I was doing wrong and just used Alcohol to copy them and figured I would figure out what I was doing wrong later.

3. I did not have DVD Player software when I had the originals so I never had an opportunity to see them under those circumstances. It is only now when I have learned about DVD player software, and FORUMS, have I tried to do some kind of research to see what went wrong. So the fact that I might be copying previously copied DVDs is an entirely new concept.

So R U saying that I was trying to copy another copy? And if that is the case, then you me I am lucky to get any type of playback?

hobo3121

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I do not now have the originals."

"So R U saying that I was trying to copy another copy? And if that is the case, then you me I am lucky to get any type of playback?"

I'm saying that on the basis of the above (discussion of which is a violation of the rules of these forums), I have nothing further to say...

Comment

• hobo3121
              • Sep 2003

Again, excuse me if I am stupid but, what did I say wrong?

I am just trying to learn a technical issue and now you go legal on me. What did i say that was in violation of some kind of post . At least tell me so that i don't make the mistake again?!!

Technical issues can be pretty specific and to the point. I beleive I was asking technical questions and I am assuming that somehwere during my inquiry I went out of bounds?

Look I am perfectly willing to abide by whatever rules there are but don't tell me I did something wrong and cloud it up by saying something vaperous like "discussion not allowed in this forum!!!."

hobo3121

Comment

• shiny#3
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jul 2003

The fact that you stated, that you do not have the
                originals any more, did make setarip turn his back on you.

the advices given in this forum are supposed to be used
                on dvds that you personally own, or that you obtained in any other legal way....

well I assume that the copies of yours are legal copies since this is possible in some countries and they might also have been series compilation or else of this kind.

lets go for it....

it is possible that these dvds still contain some copy protection or have also been created with dvd x copy.
                it is mentioned in the ducumentation that it is not possible to do a copy from
                a such created copy...

you might get around this copy protection if you use either dvd decrypter or smart ripper to rip these
                copies again and then or burn them anew....

if you are not able to rip these dvds at once try to rip them vob by vob and rejoin them along with the ifo and
                maybe other files existing on those copies
                in a new VIDEO_TS folder... create an empty AUDIO_TS folder and then check with powerdvd....if they are working fine... then go ahead to burn them in ISO mode with your burning software....

good luck!!
                Last edited by shiny#3; 18 Oct 2003, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• hobo3121
                  • Sep 2003

Thank you for your help and response.

Now, I think i understand what his problem was.

Maybe I wasn't quite as clear with this but all I really wanted was to understand or learn what the problem was. I never really wanted to break any code or get anyone in trouble.

As as result of your response I have learned that there are other ways of copying a DVD other than by using DVD X-copy or Alcohol-120. So I am going to take those bits of information and try to research them to learn more about what you said in your post.

For now I will leave any discussion the other subject alone. Maybe in my research I will come across something that will shed some light on my original problem.

thanks,
                  hobo3121

Comment

Working...