X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shaad
    • Oct 2003

A major choppy slow playback and read problem

Hi!

i just bought a maze 16x dvd-rom, have tried everything from 80 cables to enabling dma, but nothing seems to improve the playback speed, i have windows XP running on 1.1 ghz amd athlon, a gigabyte 7ixe4 motherboard with 256mb ram and a geforce fx 5200 128mb, i have tried every player from power dvd 5, windvd, real one, media player, whatever u name it and i have tried it, but i still cant figure it out how to solve the problem, the dvd rom has a problem reading other discs too being master and the slave is a 52 x cd rom which reads those cds perfectly, it seems that something is holding back my dvd rom's speed as it only shows 4x on dvdspeed software, dont know how to work around it and will really appreciate if someone helps me out of this problem,

thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"i still cant figure it out how to solve the problem"

Since you state that you've just purchased this and can't resolve this significant problem, you might consider returning it and exchanging it, for perhaps a better known brand...

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

Re: A major choppy slow playback and read problem

Originally posted by shaad
      Hi!

i just bought a maze 16x dvd-rom, have tried everything from 80 cables to enabling dma, but nothing seems to improve the playback speed, i have windows XP running on 1.1 ghz amd athlon, a gigabyte 7ixe4 motherboard with 256mb ram and a geforce fx 5200 128mb,
      thanks.

install xp-sp1, try without ur cdrom connected.
      from device manager see if ur ide's [prim/sec] using dma modes and not pio mode.
      and if ur dvd rom in new like u said and not a month old or somthing replace with better ones.

bythe way where u frm?
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• shaad
        • Oct 2003

Well the thing is, i have a deaf maid, who when cleaning my room had thrown the dvdrom's box and warranty card in the trash so cant do very much on returning the drive, so i have to make it work somehow, i have sp1 installed and ultra dma enabled but nothing works, but i remember that it started working alright after there was a corruption in the graphics which normally happens in windows if you bug it when its processing and then it ran smoothly until i restarted my pc and had the same choppy playback again, i hope somebody can work this out for me.

thanks for the replys

ps: by the way iam from pakistan

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Since your O/S is XP, why don't you simply rollback to that point at which, "i remember that it started working alright after there was a corruption in the graphics which normally happens in windows if you bug it when its processing and then it ran smoothly"

(I guess there's no point at yelling at your maid...)

Comment

• shaad
            • Oct 2003

Well it wasnt a point in which it got stuck, it was just in b/w windows operation that it started to work alright, but only after a graphical corruption,

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

1) You can't return it

2) You can't roll back (restore)

The only other obvious option would seem to be to perform a complete reinstall of Windows...

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

Originally posted by setarip
                1) You can't return it

2) You can't roll back (restore)

The only other obvious option would seem to be to perform a complete reinstall of Windows...

yeah thats right i guess and yeah by just looking ur speks i thought ur frm pakistan that maze crap is sold here only i guess...

Comment

• shaad
                  • Oct 2003

Well guess what i have even done that, but i have another pentium 3 on an intel board and i am definetely and positevely sure that if i put this dvd rom on that machine it would work perfectly fine, as the cd rw and the cdrom on that slower pc runs better then my slave cdrom, but i have to use the dvdrom on my pc, so cant shift even, i was thinking is there anyway to update the atapi dvd-rom driver? is the software driver limiting the dvd-rom? can it be a overlay problem?

Comment

• atifsh
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2003

bahee dvdrom change karoo lol.

u know setarip here u cant replace things after 1 week, only if they have som major problem they'll repair or replace. otherwise u have to do somthing to the product if ur not happy

and oh yeah there is no word "Return" in the sellers dict. here

Comment

Working...