X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coch
    • Nov 2003

PowerDVD 2 speakers vs 4 speakers

Hi,

I'm having a problem with PowerDVD 5 right now, but PowerDVD 4 also had the same issue.

The problem is that if I choose 4 speakers configuration, I do not get sound from my read speakers. If I choose 2 speakers, then rear speakers work, but I guess it is not real quadraphonic sound, only front channel sound sent in the rear. This is really weird. Anybody has any input (read: a fix) to this?

I run PowerDVD 5, on a fresh install of Win2k SP4, but the problem also occurred on Win98SE, and with PowerDVD4 on both Win2k and Win98SE. I have a SBLive with the latest driver.

Thanks in advance.
  • sergelac
    • Oct 2003

do you have 5.1 speakers with center/sub ?
    or only 4 speakers ?

check if you have selected the right number of speakers
    in "Control Panel" / "Multimedia"
    and in "Creative Surround Mixer"

Comment

• coch
      • Nov 2003

Yes, in fact I have 2 rear speakers, and in the front I got 1 sub, with 2 more satellite speakers hooked on on the sub.

Settings in both creative mixer and windows control panel are correctly selected.

Any other clues?

(by the way, doesn't creative mixer settings are in sinc with windows settings? I mean, can settings on both places be different?)

Comment

• sergelac
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by coch
        2 more satellite speakers hooked on on the sub.
        hooked on on the sub ??????????????

(by the way, doesn't creative mixer settings are in sinc with windows settings? I mean, can settings on both places be different?)
        i do not know, i do not have a SBLive anymore.

do you have the last version of PowerDVD ?
        last patch : http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/d...=132&ProdId=28

try using a different speakers configuration in PowerDVD
        (4 speakers, 6 speakers, 5.1, surround, ...)

Comment

• coch
          • Nov 2003

Thank you for the help. Let me clarify further:

On the front channel, an audio cable goes out of my soundcard to the subwoofer. The sub has an audio input jack, and an audio output jack in which the 2 satellite speakers are plugged

Yes I do have the latest PowerDVD version. Well, I do not get a lot of feedback, so it seems I might be the only one seeing this. There must be something on my system causing this. Not the OS, as I've seen this on 2 OS. Not PowerDVD itself, because every version I tried since 4.0 does this. Not the sound card, as it was also doing this with my previous one (Diamond Mx300) aaah. I just recalled something. With my previous soubnd card, this didn't occured when playing DVDs, only when using PowerDVD in file mode to listen to DIVX, or in VCD mode. For DVDs ot was fine. Perhaps it is the same here, as it is a DivX I'm trying to listen. I do not have a real DVD to test though.

Doesn't explain why the settings act so weird though, but perhaps it is a clue.

Comments anyone?

Comment

• sergelac
            • Oct 2003

With my previous soubnd card, this didn't occured when playing DVDs, only when using PowerDVD in file mode to listen to DIVX, or in VCD mode. For DVDs ot was fine. Perhaps it is the same here, as it is a DivX I'm trying to listen. I do not have a real DVD to test though.

most DivX files and VCD are Stereo (only 2 channels)

if you choose 4 speakers configuration to play stereo files, it's normal to get sound only in the front speakers

If I choose 2 speakers, then rear speakers work
            in PowerDVD, choose 2 speakers configuration with :
            "DirectSound3D" or "Dobly Virtual Speaker"
            and "Audio Channel Expander" :
            "CLMEI" or "Dolby Pro Logic II"

change it back to 4 speaker when you have a real DVD to test.
            Last edited by sergelac; 8 Nov 2003, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• coch
              • Nov 2003

thanks a lot for the help, the VCD/DivX probably explains what I am seeing.
              thanks again

Comment

• sergelac
                • Oct 2003

i found a new DirectShow Filter for upmixing from any stereo source up to 5 channels.
                MatrixMixer : http://matrix-mixer.sourceforge.net

Comment

Working...