X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leprechaun
    • Jan 2002

Lg Gdr-8160b & Problems With Rpcman

Hi Guys,

I had problems using the patched RPCMAN program 8160.exe. For now, I do not recommend using RPCMAN on this drive.

I ran the utility and it allowed me to change the region mask four times, but now User Count = 1 and Vendor Count = 4, and I cannot change the region anymore. I get an error box stating:

"Region setting failed. Check if proper disc is inserted or not. Error code 05,6f,04"

Have tried several DVD disks, but no good. The RESET, DISABLE, & INITIALISATION boxes are always greyed out.

Firmware is reported as:

Drive Label - A0
    Windows Device Manager - 0009

Drive model in BIOS and Device Manager is HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8160B. First tried the drive on a WIN ME (sucks!) system, and then a WIN95 system, but same problem.

Am I doing something wrong? I have read posts from others who say they have successfully reset the drive several times. Can anyone please post the original firmware, so that I can atleast return the drive to initial state.

Thanks in advance of your help.

Sean
  • dbento
    • Feb 2002

I have a DRD 8120B. Once I got a rcpman.exe for mine and I got very similar problems. Then I just dowloaded it from another place else and everything went fine. Perhaps you got a corrupted rpcman.
    Also, once I've tried a 8160b.exe and I got problems in resetting my region code. As I tried the one for 8160b and it didn't damage my 8120, maybe you should try to use, at your own risk, the 8120b.exe in your 8160b. I suppose besides the speed they're not quite different. That's just an idea I suppose it couldn't damage your hardware and in worst cases would just not work. But I am not sure of that, so be careful.
    By the way, if you ever have in mind to install windows XP things may get slightly difficult. Then you should download and install the ASPI drivers for XP and Windows 2000 and only then to try the rpcman. But I know that's not your present case.

Good Luck

dbento

Comment

Working...