• Show
Clear All
  • Yann
    • Jan 2002

DVD drive not visible in W98 anymore after flash

Initial config:
    - Primary IDE controller: Hard Drive and DVD-ROM drive Pioneer 115
    - Secondary IDE controller: CD-RW drive

In order to flash the firmware of DVD-ROM drive for free-zoning, switched it as master on Secondary IDE controller (replaced it on Primary with CD-RW as slave)

Current config:
    - Primary IDE controller: Hard Drive and CD-RW drive
    - Secondary IDE controller: DVD-ROM drive Pioneer 115

I flashed the firmware with 115f_133.hex in DOS mode and got no error messages or symptoms. Rebooted in DOS, seems both CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives are recognized. Was able to switch to DVD-ROM drive and list DVD file contents.

Rebooted in Windows: DVD-ROM drive not listed in Device Manager but driver error on Secondary IDE Controller. After IDE Driver refresh, still no DVD-Rom drive apparent.

How can I get my DVD-ROM back under Windows ?
  • auguste
    • Jan 2002

Bonjour Yann, Just a maybe stupid suggestion: Return to the former Hardware configuration now that the firmware seems to have been successfully upgraded ????

Comment

• crashplane
      • Jan 2002

bios doesn't see the drive after firmware flash

Toshiba SD-C2402 - flashed the firmware to make it RPC1 - it flashed succesfully but it didn't make it region free.

So I tried upgrading the firmware and when i did that the drive isn't even recognized by the bios anymore.

Does anyone know how to replace firmware on a drive that isn't recognized or is the drive pooched?

Before anyone says try putting the old firmware on again - I can't because the drive isn't recognized - even by the update program.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Comment

• Yann
        • Jan 2002

I my case, the BIOS is seeing the drive and I can access it in DOS mode.. but Windows does not see it anymore. If I get an answer it might solve your next problem

I did try, once the drive was successfully flashed, to come back to the previous IDE connections but it did not solve the problem. The drive was not visible in W98 Device Manager.

So I am stuck...

Comment

Working...