Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdc10
    • Jan 2004

burning home digital video to DVD

Hi, I'm a newbie to this type of burning so please be gentle with me. I have been burning and ripping cd's and DVD's for awhile but now I am trying something new.
    I just bought a new digital camcorder and would like to burn the movies to a DVD to send to my parents. I was wondering what format it would have to be to play on a home DVD player and what is the best software to use. I currently have Nero and
    Recordnow DX.
    Thanks for your time!!
  • Subsonicwaves
    • Jan 2004

You need capture drivers, a firewire input on your computer, and capture software. Virtual dub is the worlds best that is totally free. Very technical, yet very easy. (LOL)
    Then you need some form of video editing software to rearrange it all, make it "smell nice", and then some DVD authoring software. Best bet for newbies? Ulead Media Studio. I believe it does DV. Better start reading some stuff... There is a lot to it!

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

" I was wondering what format it would have to be to play on a home DVD player and what is the best software to use. "

You already have a great program in Nero for burning. If your capturing device (or card) encodes at high quality mpeg 2 format, then you can drop those files into a program called TMPGENc DVD Author–different from the regular TMPGENc program. The program is shareware, but is fully functional for 30 days. You can set chapter points and make menus with the program too.

Comment

• mpholic
        • Jan 2004

I use Pinnacle Studio 8. It is a commercial program so you will have to pay for it but it works great for me. If you have a firewire port on your PC you can use Studio 8 to capture, edit, and burn to DVD.

I have transferred quite a few of my home videos both analog and DV to DVD. I have edited the video, added transitions, titles, and menus. All of my projects play on multiple DVD players.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Subsonicwaves
          Best bet for newbies? Ulead Media Studio.
          make it video studio 7 for newbies, media studio is not for newbies, too many options and not easy to understand the interface.

Originally posted by Subsonicwaves
          I believe it does DV
          yes both media studio and video studio capture at full dv-avi format.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...