• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nightcheck
    • Sep 2003

Video, but no audio

Hi...
    I'm really stumped...
    I've been using WinDVD for some time to play my DVD's and have never had a problem. (I have Windows XP Home edition).
    Recently, every DVD I try to play - I only get video, but no audio. If I play a video file that is an mpg, mpeg or avi - I get both the video and audio. I reinstalled Windows but that didn't help.
    I checked in "Device Manager" and everything in the "sound, video & game controllers" category is working fine. I can play CD's with no problem...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks so much...
    Nightcheck

p.s., I've tried other DVDplaying software (Windows Media player 9.0, etc., and the same problem)
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"Recently, every DVD I try to play - I only get video, but no audio."

Are these commercial DVDs, or ones that you have ripped?

Comment

• Nightcheck
      • Sep 2003

Are these commercial DVDs, or ones that you have ripped?
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Both - I know it must be something on my system as I tried playing several of these DVD's (both ripped and commercial) on my neighbors pc using the same software (WinDVD) and it played fine... but then I try it on mine... and I get video only.
      I tried doing a system restore but not one "restore point" would take.
      oh... one more thing.... After the "system restore" didn't work - I used my "restore" disc for my pc - wiped out everything and restored it to exactly the same condition as when I bought it. It originally had Windows ME and for the heck of it...I tried playing the DVD's on the DVD software which came bundled with my PC... and they played fine. Then when I installed Windows XP - I only get video.. (a week or so ago, I got both)..
      Thanks in advance again...
      Nightcheck
      p/s. My neighbors pc has Windows XP also

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Both - I know it must be something on my system as I tried playing several of these DVD's (both ripped and commercial) on my neighbors pc using the same software (WinDVD) and it played fine... but then I try it on mine... and I get video only."

Download a utility called "Gspot". It will tell you what "Codecs" you have installed and what ones that might be missing. It's my guess that you need an Ac3 sound codec.

Comment

• Nightcheck
          • Sep 2003

Download a utility called "Gspot". It will tell you what "Codecs" you have installed and what ones that might be missing. It's my guess that you need an Ac3 sound codec.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I did so and checked several of the .vob files (on a ripped DVD). On the right side of the screen (GSpot) - nothing was listed in either Video or Audio - but at the bottom, when I clicked on "render" - It said "Rendering successful" and for the audio source - it said dolby_AC3 : for video source type it said "MPEG2_VIDEO"
          and for the audio path it gave " (S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> InterVideo Audio Decoder --> (R)".
          On a commercial DVD - everything was the same except the audio path said "(S) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> InterVideo Audio Decoder --> (R)"
          I haven't a clue what any of this means...
          Thanks..
          Nightcheck

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"it said dolby_AC3"

Did it say whether or not you had an Ac3 codec installed? My guess is still that you need an Ac3 sound codec.

Comment

• Nightcheck
              • Sep 2003

"it said dolby_AC3" - Yes, at the bottom, where it has "DirectShow Render" , to the right it says Audio src: DOLBY_AC3
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Did it say whether or not you had an Ac3 codec installed? My guess is still that you need an Ac3 sound codec.
              At the menu, under View - installed codecs - Audio - It lists 20
              "installed audio codecs", but none that specifically say "AC3" i.e., there is "Intervideo Audio decoder (I assume this is from the software, WinDVD, I use), MPEG layer-3 decoder, Microsoft G.723.1 Codec, etc.
              Is there a particular ac3 sound codec you can recommend? In the meantime, I'll check on Google to see what I can find...
              Thanks so much for all your help.

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"Thanks so much for all your help."

Glad to be of help-you are on the right track with Google

Comment

• Nightcheck
                  • Sep 2003

Ormonde,
                  SUCCESS !!!!!
                  Thanks ever so much. I'm not quite sure how it got fixed, but you put me on the right track re: ac3 sound codec - I remember I had a program "K-Lite Codec Pack" and after playing around with it - perfect Audio and Video.
                  People like you are what makes these forums so great...
                  Take care

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

Ormonde,
                    SUCCESS !!!!!
                    Thanks ever so much.

Again, glad to be of help

Comment

• Joe G
                      • Jan 2004

Something still needs explaining here.

I have the same problem as Nightcheck, where a working system suddenly stopped working in the past week.
                      Is there a codec/filter that has an expiration date or something?

I have been using PowerDvd 4.0 on an XP Home SP1 system, using the SPDIF output for all of my audio. I have been able to get DD 5.1 out of it with no problems for months.
                      Suddenly this week, without me changing anything, I get no DD sound. The other audio still comes out of the digital output: Windows noises, CD audio, MPEG2 playback; all of which are stereo sound, not DD.
                      If I change the PowerDvd setting from "Use SPDIF" to "stereo", then I get sound (in stereo, not DD).
                      It is a dual-boot system, and both partitions show the same behavior. That shows that I didn't change anything.
                      I don't want to go installing things until I find out what's going on.

search terms: AC3 DD 5.1 Dolby Digital SPDIF S/PDIF PowerDvd no sound DVD problem XP

Comment

• Nightcheck
                        • Sep 2003

I may have spoken too soon...
                        My audio stopped again for no reason (at leats none that I know of) using WinDVD - If I use Windows Media Player, not a problem - but I'm back to square one using WinDVD. I reinstalled WinDVD as I understand it has it's own codec, but still no audio.

Comment

• thedread
                          • Jan 2004

Same problem as well with latest win dvd also for no apparent reason audio just stopped working?????

Comment

• ormonde
                            Digital Video Explorer
                            • Dec 2003

"My audio stopped again for no reason (at leats none that I know of) using WinDVD"

Visit the following link:

If you have a movie and cant seem to get it to play, odds are you have a conflicting or missing codec. A CODEC (compressor/decompressor) allows you to...

Comment

• thedread
                              • Jan 2004

followed instructions in link ....still no sound!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...