Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MOVIEMASTER
    • Jan 2004

DVD Shrink picture quality issues

I have made bak-ups of approx 80 movies so far and have noticed a lack of clarity with the resulting dvd-r disks.

specificaly with once upon a time in mexico I selected just the main movie with no compression and dropped all the audio and subtitle streams except 5.1 english. Although this required no compression the resulting disk is notably less sharp and suffers from a bit of color saturation. I went through a series of tests using two friends to confirm or deny my findings and they can tell the dvd-r disk.

are there any other settings or things I should look for to improve quality?

I have a samsung dvd player with DCDI and a Mits 65 inch diamond series tv.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Have you tested different media/standalones?
    um .. what's DCDI?
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• MOVIEMASTER
      • Jan 2004

dcdi is the chip used for the de-interlacing of the signal from my dvd player. http://www.dcdi-video.com/technology...-overview.html

I did not know if there are issues with this chip or if it could effect quality from a copy.

I own several stand-alones but they vary greatly in quality and I did not think to check one of the others. I will try however.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

moviemaster,

Which version of 'Shrink are you using? I have read of some problems with 2.3. But, with this new version 3.1.4, I really don't see any difference unless with very cheap dvd-r media, try TDK or Memorex if you want a better 1 : 1 transfer (no compression) back-up.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• MOVIEMASTER
          • Jan 2004

I am currently using 3.1.3 and memorex media, I will try some tdk in the future however.

Comment

Working...