Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon_20_29
    • Jan 2004

Video editing software opinions

I'm a video editing n00b and I'm not sure which video program I should use. I'm trying to work on an Anime Music Video so it needs to have good splicing, cut and paste type thing, and able to work with audio.
  • mpholic
    • Jan 2004

Can you provide more details on your project?

What of file(s) are being edited?

How do you want to manipulate the audio?

What format will the finished project be output to?

Comment

• Jon_20_29
      • Jan 2004

AMV

I'm working on an amv, basicly clipping video (avi) and inserting audio. some sfx would be good. I'll probably make an avi or mpeg

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

get ulead videostudio 7, or cyberlink power director 3

both can clip, split video. u can add audio, u can use some good effects too.
        both have somekind of smart rendering that will save u time and reatin the orignal quality.
        Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• mpholic
          • Jan 2004

I use Pinnacle Studio 8 for capturing home videos and producing DVDs.

Studio will allow you to trim clips, split clips, insert transitions between clips, insert stills, overlay titles, do voice overs, add sounds, and will output to AVI, MPEG, WMV, Real Player, VCD, SVCD, DVD, DV tape, and analog tape (analog tape requires analog output hardware).

It is very easy to use and costs less than $100. It works perfect for me. Studio 9 is due out in a few weeks and it supports plug ins to expand its capabilities.

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

yeah but studio ver 8 does'nt have smart rendering...... or doesit?

smart rendering save u lotta time and dont alter ur orignal video quality.
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• megamachine
              Video Fiddler
              • Mar 2003

AVI is a just a container, so it would be helpful to know more about the files you are using. If you are using MPEG-4 encoded AVI files (e.g. DivX or XviD), then you can do a lot with VirtualDub.

Comment

• mpholic
                • Jan 2004

It claims to have smart rendering and if your output file is the same as your source file the rendering time is not that bad. If your output is different than your source though (like miniDV to DVD) it can be quite time consuming, but I would think that was normal since it has to render in the titles, menus, transitions, then it has to encode the project to mpeg2 and then compile then author the DVD files. But in all fairness I have never used any other program to create DVDs from home videos. I have used VirtualDub and flaskMpeg to make Divx movies with and VirtualDub seems very fast, but I don't believe VirtualDub will add titles, transitions and author DVDs. I prefer to use a program that does everything even if it is a little slow. But thats just me.

Comment

• Aquila
                  • Jan 2004

Personally, I swear by Adobe Premiere 6.5 - it's pricey and daunting for newbies (sorry), but gives professional results at prosumer prices.
                  Visit my homepage sometime

Comment

• megamachine
                    Video Fiddler
                    • Mar 2003

Of course professional programs like Premiere are the choice for full production capabilities, but it's kind of pricey and complex for amateurs (not that being an amateur is a bad thing!). For basic editing and encoding, VDub is my choice, and it sounds like the original poster to this thread probably needs something like that. By the way, how does Premiere work with MPEG4 encoded AVI's?

Comment

Working...