• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davoud
    • Feb 2004

Region free question

Hi All,

Information about the playing a DVD movie in this page:

Indicates that in order for a DVD movie to play in another region, the region setting of the DVD movie must match that of 3 region settings i.e (1- RPC-2 DVD-ROM drive 2-Hardware/Software DVD player such as WinDVD 3-internal region settings of the operating system). This information located under the Basics on that web page.

I posted the questions below in some forums:

As I understand windows default for the region is region
    1 (one).

I would like to know if there is anyway to make the
    windows "region free", as I would like to travel to
    overseas and would want to be able to play dvd's from all
    regions. If that is impossible, using a region free dvd
    drive or dvd player (software- such as DVD X Player Pro or dvdidle) will solve the problem?

As well I would like to know how I can change the region settings in windows.

The feedback that i got, is that "windows regional settings have nothing to do with DVD regional settings".

So I am just confused now. Could anyone please help.
  • joegib
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2001

Currently, there are 2 broad methods for overcoming region-protection in optical drives:

1. The older method involved:

(a) flashing patched firmware (region-protection removed) to the drive, and

(b) overcoming region-protection in your software player (WinDVD, Power DVD) with utilities such as DVD Genie or Region Killer. These utilities deal with region-protection in both the software player and Windows. So, the short answer is don't worry about Windows.

2. The second broad method involves using utilities like Remote Selector, AnyDVD and Region Free that deal with region-protection without flashing firmware. But, these are commercial solutions you have to pay for.

Comment

• davoud
      • Feb 2004

Hi Joegib,

Thanks very much for the information. Actually I have some video on My DV CAM and would like to burn them to a CD or DVD. I am using trial version of the Sony Vegas 4.0 to transfer the video to HD in DV-AVI mode eventhough it has some problems detecting my DV CAM, and funny thing is that my Dv Cam is Sony TRV-19, but after I fight with it for some time then it works fine.

Then I use TMPGEnc to convert it to MPEG and i burn it using TMPGEngc Author.

I live in Canada and would like to travel to overseas where they use SECAM system on TV's. As I understand i will be fine playing the final movie in my computer, please correct me if I am wrong.

Since the movie that I burn is in NTSC system I searched for a converter and came up with alot of hardware converters. My question is that Is there anyway that I can convert my movie from NTSC to SECAM using a SOFTWARE (Trial version! )and what software? sorry if this question is not relative to the forum topic.

Cheers

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

davoud,

yours is easy to answer. Most newer European dvd players / televisions will play NTSC discs also IF same region.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

And if not the same region, most set top DVD players can be converted to any region with "DVD region hack" for the player, which you can find with a Google search and the player model #. As for software players, I recommend solution #2 suggested by JoeGib, since flashing is sometimes dicey. I'm using DVDIdlePro for over-riding the region settings on Power DVD with Windows, but, as noted above, it's a commercial product and not a freebie.

Comment

• davoud
            • Feb 2004

Joegib, Quality and Mega,

Thank you very much for your messages.

Comment

• megamachine
              Video Fiddler
              • Mar 2003

Our pleasure.

Comment

• decryptit
                • Jan 2004

High-Tech Productions merupakan situs yang memberikan informasi tentang teknologi terbaru dari handphone masa kini

visit here for more information
                Total Number Of Views
                Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

Working...