Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hlhbk
    • Mar 2003

i need some major help....

Been a long time since i posted here....I am having problems trying to play DVD's on my computer. If I try to use windvd or power dvd the audio doesn't sync up with the video. If I use nvdvd (which i can't now because my trial ran out) it workes perfectly. I tried formatting my hard drive because i thought it might be the codecs conflicting...same problem. All other video formats play fine....any ideas?
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I am having problems trying to play DVD's on my computer. If I try to use windvd or power dvd the audio doesn't sync up with the video."

Are these commercial DVDs? Also, what program did you use to "Rip" the DVD(s) to your HD, and are all the DVD related files (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB) in a folder named: VIDEO_TS? In WinDVD, you use the "Dropdown" arrow and select "Open DVD From Folder" and highlight the VIDEO_TS folder that contains the files.

Comment

• hlhbk
      • Mar 2003

I am not ripping my dvds.....

I am talking about playing them from a bought DVD from the store. From the disc.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"If I use nvdvd (which i can't now because my trial ran out) it workes perfectly"

Then the easiest solution would be to purchase NVDVD, since you stated that it worked for you. There is no need to extensively troubleshoot if there is a solution that worked in the past for you.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

It's time to do a fresh re-install of windows and windvd and the necessary windows updates and not download spyware/adware freeware/shareware. If windvd doesn't play your store bought dvd's, there is something missing on O.S. or in windvd and a re-install of windows and windvd should fix problem.

I have both WINDVD and POWERDVD, only 1 is necessary to play dvd's. You can even set Windows Media Player as your default DVD player (many persons do) after installing WINDVD.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• hlhbk
            • Mar 2003

um in my first post....

I stated i have formatted my drive thinking that would fix it. It has not. I installed powerdvd after a clean format and after updating through windows update and it still didn't sync up....same with windvd.

Like i said the only player that syncs up is nvdvd, and i won't buy a dvd player that i don't recieve a cd so i can reinstall it anytime i want.

any other ideas?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jan 2004

Well, formatting drive is not = to re-install.

I'm thinking. Seems there is solution that is easy.

I agree with you about software on cd, can't trust .com to always be there. Will reply after something "clicks".
              Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"i won't buy a dvd player that i don't recieve a cd so i can reinstall it anytime i want."

Did you download the NVDVD player originally? You could try to contact the support staff at NVIDIA to see if purchasing it would entitle you to a CD copy.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

You could set Windows Media Player as the default DVD Player. That way, Windows will search for an audio codec that WinDvd might not have and play that DVD movie alright. Usually, the reverse is the problem.

If you have XP, you shouldn't be having this problem, unless your sound card is.......? Or, the re-install is faulty.

You could try Win. M. Player 9, but would cause problerms on music cd back-ups.
                  Rig :

Comment

• hlhbk
                    • Mar 2003

here is the thing...

It used to work fine....I have a sound blaster audigy 2 ex and until recently everything was ok.

Comment

• hlhbk
                      • Mar 2003

i forgot

i have win xp professional

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

I have an Audigy card also. Have you tried to see if wmp default will work by it using some audio codec you are not aware of?

I am thinking some un-install ofa program swiped/deleted your audio codec(s). Don't know if the trial period expirationof NVDVD would have caused such or not, but other software trial period's expirations can do so and so?

Did any software player work before nvdvd trial period began? If so, does seem that nvdvd deleted something.
                        Rig :

Comment

• hlhbk
                          • Mar 2003

i dont think it mattered...

I formatted everything and reinstalled and still had the same problem without ever installing nvdvd.

Comment

• hlhbk
                            • Mar 2003

who ever said...

to use media player thank you...it worked.....one quick question...will it still be in surround sound?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Jan 2004

On the start button, click, click on Control Panel, click on Sounds and Audio Devices, click on Hardware, click Properties, then Click on Audio Codecs(Twice), count how many audio there are (mine has 11 (includes converter, etc. (at least 7 codecs, though))), you should have at least 1 Windows Media , and 4 Microsoft.

If you don't have at least this many parts listed, then something is missing (codec and/or, etc.).
                              Rig :

Comment

Working...