X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mintdrops
    • Mar 2004

Help

Hi,

I bought a TDK CDRW DVD combo, what utilities or software should I install for it in order to make it region free? I haven't use it yet and dun wan to install the wrong one, I read through the older posts regarding this but am still blur. Utilities like region killer, DVDIdlePro, DVD X Ghost... DVD43 and so called patin couffin, I just dunno which is the best to use such as it wont freeze when watching and so on. Can anybody help me with this? Would greatly appreciate it, thanks alot.

FYI, I'm using windows 2000 pro.
    Last edited by mintdrops; 12 Mar 2004, 04:15 AM.
  • mintdrops
    • Mar 2004

And in addition, how to make my dvdrom region free even before it gets locked?
    Last edited by mintdrops; 12 Mar 2004, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• decryptit
      • Jan 2004

Give me all the details of your writer.
      Total Number Of Views
      Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• mintdrops
        • Mar 2004

what details u want?

TDK Cyclone(Internal E-IDE/ATAPI) CD-R/RW & DVD Combo
        52X32X52X 16X(DVDROM)
        Data buffer soze: 2MB with Buffer underrun protection
        Random Access(CD)Time: 120ms
        Random Access(DVD) Time: 140ms
        Firmware: Upgradeable FlashROM
        Headphone out: front panel
        Installing style: horizontalData Transfer: UltraDMA Mode 2(33mb/sec)

Comment

• mintdrops
          • Mar 2004

Writing methods: Disc at once, track at once, session at once, packet writing, multisession

supported write/read formats: CD-DA, CD-ROM, CDROM XA, PhotoCD, VideoCD, Super VideoCD, CD-I, CD-Extra, CD Text.

Supported read formats(DVD) DVD-ROM, DVD-VIDEO, DVD-AUDIO, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Comment

• decryptit
            • Jan 2004

"Firmware: Upgradeable FlashROM"

You can flash your firmware
            But thats quite damgerous it may damage your drive permanantly

You can try a software called region free which does not effect your drive at all.
            Total Number Of Views
            Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• decryptit
              • Jan 2004

DVD Region-Free allows you to watch and copy CSS-encrypted DVD from any region on all DVD drives. It also supports region-locked (RPC-2) DVD drive, and does not require firmware modifications. It's safe and easy to use
              Total Number Of Views
              Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• megamachine
                Video Fiddler
                • Mar 2003

I second Decryptit's good advice, I've been very happy with DVD Region Free for over a year now. By the way, you can also get it as DVDIdlePro, which includes a cache feature that saves wear and tear on your disk drive, if you watch a lot of movies on it.

Comment

• joegib
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2001

Your drive appears to be a TDK CDRW523252BC. Check this using Nero Infotool. If this shows your firmware version as N7E1 or N7E2 your drive is a re-badged LiteOn OEM SOHC-5232K. You can use the LtnRPC Windows utility to disable region protection without any need to flash firmware -- see here:

You also have to overcome region-protection in your software player (Power DVD, WinDVD) with utilities such as DVD Genie or Region Killer. I recommend Region Killer which you can get here:

Comment

• decryptit
                    • Jan 2004

I can offer him firware upgrades for me its no problem at a certian point.But i always suggest using software instead of touching
                    your drive's firmware(rom) since someimes requires some further knowledge.
                    Total Number Of Views
                    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• mintdrops
                      • Mar 2004

Thanks alot guys.

But one more question, by using dvd region free or DVDIdlePro software, does it mean that my DVD rom counters will still continue to decrease till it gets locked while allowing me to carry on watching dvd on a locked rom?

erm, decryptit maybe u can teach me for the firmware upgrade part? i think i wanna learn thanks alot ;P

Comment

• decryptit
                        • Jan 2004

"mean that my DVD rom counters will still continue to decrease till it gets locked while allowing me to carry on watching dvd on a locked rom?"

If you keep on cahging the region code more than five times yes
                        you will get locked and will despiritly remain in one region.So be careful.Using region-free will just let you play the movie as if you where region '0'.

Firmware is much more better since it will always work no matter
                        what you do or format your pc it will always work.The problem is
                        that not all firware's can be installed easily soem require some few settings to set in order to complete sucessfully the operation.

*Remember tweaking your ROM drive's will remain there permanently so be very careful installing the wrong firware or
                        just your firmware tends not to flash ,you've had it .So stick to software for now.Later on if you find region-free uncomfortable
                        just give it a try.
                        Total Number Of Views
                        Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• megamachine
                          Video Fiddler
                          • Mar 2003

With DVD Region Free, you won't be asked to change the region setting, as it bypasses that function and "fools" the software into seeing the disk as all regions. The counter will remain the same.

Comment

• decryptit
                            • Jan 2004

I've included that "Using region-free will just let you play the movie as if you where region '0'."
                            Total Number Of Views
                            Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

Working...